• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers for 'Hard Knocks'? Doubt it

Tarheels23

It'll never happen, but how many of you guys would like to see us on Hard Knocks?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/21209/panthers-for-hard-knocks-doubt-it

Our friends over at Cat Scratch Reader are throwing out the idea that maybe the Carolina Panthers should be a candidate for HBO’s “Hard Knocks’’ this summer.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers already turned down an offer to be featured on the show, saying they want to keep their attention focused on the field.

Could Carolina be a candidate? Well, the Panthers have some compelling storylines. They have a big-name rookie quarterback in Cam Newton. Some vocal and entertaining players in Jon Beason, DeAngelo Williams and Steve Smith (if he’s still with the team).

Getting national attention also might not be a bad idea for a team that’s coming off a 2-14 season. But I think this one might be a long shot.

There’s no way the Panthers would consider opening their doors to camera crews if John Fox were still coaching this team. Fox is gone and the climate in the building has changed in a lot of ways. General manager Marty Hurney and owner Jerry Richardson came to the conclusion that they’re now in a quarterback-driven league and that’s why they drafted Newton.

Hurney and Richardson are more open-minded about a lot of things these days. But there’s one thing I don’t believe has changed. Hurney and Richardson aren’t attention seekers. In fact, they’re almost a little shy with the media. I can’t quite see them suddenly developing the urge to open up their training camp to the world.

By the way, I saw a few reports that the New Orleans Saints were in the mix as a fall-back option about a month ago when it seemed like the Bucs were the front-runners for “Hard Knocks’’. I ran that one by somebody with the Saints and was told that’s not going to happen.

Archived