• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Auburn AD OK with Cam Newton statue

Tarheels23

you're right. the 4th statue is going to be of John Heisman. he was the HC at Auburn before he went to Clemson.

Then AU decided to add a 4th statue (not exactly sure why, maybe to have two on each side) and I believe it will be of John Heisman (once coached at AU).

Tim Tebows speech after the ol Miss game was put on a plaque outside the Stadium the next year, while he was still at Florida 6a00d83451c3cb69e2011169016e00970c-320wi

Florida also recently erected statutes of all of their Heisman winners outside the stadium, The Golden Calf of Bristol was included ncf_a_tebowstatue_600.jpg

A statute of Vince Young and other Texas Heisman winners/notable athletes was recently erected img_1473_medium.jpg

This isn't uncommon.

I'm sorry, but isn't it a little bit too early for that?

Auburn had planned statues of the 1971 Heisman Trophy winner (Pat Sullivan) and their 1985 Heisman Trophy winner (Bo Jackson) before the 2010 football season even started. Had signed the contract with the sculptor and everything.

Then came Cam and he performed over even the most optimistic Auburn fan's expectations. I've been an SEC (specifically Auburn) fan for a long time now and I've never seen a kid take the SEC by storm like Cam did last year.

So, after Cam brought Auburn's third Heisman Trophy to The Plains, *not* putting up a Cam statue would have raised more questions than just adding him to the already-planned honorees (i.e. "Why isn't Auburn putting up a statue of Cam like the others? He's a Heisman Trophy winner, right? Could it be CHARACTER or NCAA issues, hmmmmm??!?!?!?").

Honoring Cam along with Pat and Bo answers those kind of questions most emphatically, I believe. As to the issue of "too soon", when you've made the decision to honor your schools Heisman Trophy winners and a good kid like Cam steps up and wins your school another one, I don't consider honoring him like the others a questionable decision made too soon... I consider it a pleasant addition and surprise.

Oh, by the way, along with the Heisman statues, Auburn is also putting up a bust of John Heisman who happens to be a former Auburn coach (back in the 1890's... and, no, I wasn't a student then :p ). Auburn is the only school to have a Heisman Trophy winner/winners where John Heisman actually coached. I'm looking forward to getting down to Auburn to see "Heisman Park" (have no idea if they're calling it this or not) when they're finished.

Oh, as an introduction of myself, obviously I am an Auburn fan (alum). Also a fan of the NFL (though my interest has fallen off for many years now). Always liked the Panthers because my boy Kevin Greene had some great years there (wish he was coaching with the Panthers and not the Packers). Since I am as huge a Cam Newton fan as you will find and his drafting by the Panthers pleased me immensely, I hope you don't mind if I jump on your wagon. The ATL team and the self-promotion of their pencil-thin moustached owner turns my stomach.

:cam:

Auburn had planned statues of the 1971 Heisman Trophy winner (Pat Sullivan) and their 1985 Heisman Trophy winner (Bo Jackson) before the 2010 football season even started. Had signed the contract with the sculptor and everything.

Then came Cam and he performed over even the most optimistic Auburn fan's expectations. I've been an SEC (specifically Auburn) fan for a long time now and I've never seen a kid take the SEC by storm like Cam did last year.

So, after Cam brought Auburn's third Heisman Trophy to The Plains, *not* putting up a Cam statue would have raised more questions than just adding him to the already-planned honorees (i.e. "Why isn't Auburn putting up a statue of Cam like the others? He's a Heisman Trophy winner, right? Could it be CHARACTER or NCAA issues, hmmmmm??!?!?!?").

Honoring Cam along with Pat and Bo answers those kind of questions most emphatically, I believe. As to the issue of "too soon", when you've made the decision to honor your schools Heisman Trophy winners and a good kid like Cam steps up and wins your school another one, I don't consider honoring him like the others a questionable decision made too soon... I consider it a pleasant addition and surprise.

Oh, by the way, along with the Heisman statues, Auburn is also putting up a bust of John Heisman who happens to be a former Auburn coach (back in the 1890's... and, no, I wasn't a student then :p ). Auburn is the only school to have a Heisman Trophy winner/winners where John Heisman actually coached. I'm looking forward to getting down to Auburn to see "Heisman Park" (have no idea if they're calling it this or not) when they're finished.

Oh, as an introduction of myself, obviously I am an Auburn fan (alum). Also a fan of the NFL (though my interest has fallen off for many years now). Always liked the Panthers because my boy Kevin Greene had some great years there (wish he was coaching with the Panthers and not the Packers). Since I am as huge a Cam Newton fan as you will find and his drafting by the Panthers pleased me immensely, I hope you don't mind if I jump on your wagon. The ATL team and the self-promotion of their pencil-thin moustached owner turns my stomach.

:cam:

Like I told the other Auburn fan on here it doesn't matter when you join the party.

Welcome to Panther Nation!

Archived