• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Newton get it?

TheRealDeal

But isn't it better to talk about realistic projections, real issues he's facing, real skills he brings with him, etc, than just a bunch of fluff?

Ya. We just dont have anything to go on but tape of college highlights. Lets hope he can learn from the so called teachers on this new staff. I'm just taking a wait and see approach.

At least lets wait to be able to see what he is like in training camp and OTA's before giving some kind of judgement on him, good or bad.

I thought we were done talking about his college career and were focusing on what he could do for us in the NFL?

We aren't talking about football attributes we are talking about dealing with criticism. Ever stop to think that maybe you just don't get it?? :confused:

You gotta feel bad for TRD. All last year he went off on Jimmy (deserved, but still) and now he's going off on Cam. I wonder what he does for all the stress and wasted energy? I hope he doesn't have a wife, because surely she gets lonely with him on the computer all day arguing.

But isn't it better to talk about realistic projections, real issues he's facing, real skills he brings with him, etc, than just a bunch of fluff?

Focus then on something real and tangible instead of anti-fluff

He got the question. It was Golic and co. along with the rest of the dummies that dont get Auburns offense. Whats better and quicker in the huddle "36" or "xslant,zright,49tdibberdabber,tyz72go"

Exactly I don't care if Auburn's offense was simply go long and catch it, obvious whatever it was the best defenses in the country couldn't figure it out nor stop it.

So I guess the million dollar question in all of this, is why were the same defenses able to bottle up the "experts" so called pro-ready Qb's like Gabbert? I mean were these guys to busy trying to remember play calls like snapcracklepop1gaybullfrogsupercalifragilousespecialladocious to actually make a play on the field?

So if I can get this straight, Cam outperformed these guys, has more physical ability that these guys but somehow is less "pro-ready" than they are?

Reality Message-board-ism, what a concept. It'll never work.

A whole bunch of people on both sides of this "To Cam or Not to Cam" thing need to read this:

(really good breakdown of college offenses and the transition to the NFL)

http://smartfootball.com, did-cam-newton-play-in-a-one-read-passing-offense

Trackemtigers asks whether Cam Newton played in a “one-read passing offense” at Auburn, something you keep hearing from the media. Most of the talking heads vaguely use this term, usually implying that Newton literally would look at one receiver and, if he was covered, instantly start running. This kind of confusion is understandable given that teaching quarterbacks where to throw the football both seems like a bit of an inscrutable black art — which takes years to master the often subconscious subtleties necessary to do well — but also because there are simply many different ways to do it.

Chris Petersen of Boise State once set forth his view of a quarterback’s development as follows:

1.Strict progression. Tell him to read first receiver, second receiver, and then third receiver — and then run like hell if they aren’t open. In Petersen’s view, if they don’t know anything else they can know, by rote memory, who they are supposed to throw to. This doesn't require them to have any advance knowledge of the defense and it is where every quarterback begins.

2.Progression with coverage keys. The same progression concept as above except that the progression and sequence of receivers is determined by what the defense is doing. How many safeties are there? What kind of leverage are you getting from the cornerbacks? Is it a blitz? Is it man or zone? Once you’ve determined that, it’s one-two-three.

3.Coverage reads. This is the advanced NFL stuff: Tom Brady sees the defense doing X, so he looks one way and then rifles it back to the receiver he always knew he was going to because he understood the coverage, he understood the technique the defense was playing, and he understood the theory of the play he was running. There are few, if any, college quarterbacks who ever do this kind of thing.

Nuance is an element that does not lend itself well to sports culture.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where false-dichotomies are the only way to examine this characteristic.

Cam can either be a GREAT quarterback or a ONE TRICK PONY, any more substance than that (by scouts or ESPN) and our heads explode.

Educateyosef. Really. Pls? If you dig around that site, you'll find another couple of Cam articles and a page from the Auburn playbook. It's some of the most un-polarized, unbiased stuff I know of.

Yes, :cam: has big alpha-ego bordering on arrogance. That's a good thing. It comes with the territory, but if you listen to the actual M&M interview, he's also trying to defend his old coach Malzahn. Chizik and Malzahn have come under criticism for their "simple" offense and have felt the need to defend it during this draft process. Malzahn invited scouts and media criticizing his offense to come down and have look at his playbook. He's very defensive about it. Recruiting is everything in college football and they felt the perception of a simple offense hurt them.

^Process all that and tell me, who are the latest role models/authority figures Cam has available to him while the NFL is locked out?

What was the other Alabama team doing during all this? Saban had planned to help NFLNW announce the draft, but a tornado stopped that. In the NFLNW live promos just prior to the draft, Saban punctuated any and all discussions about his program with comments about his NFL-style offense and defense. He never misses the opportunity to state that when he makes it on TV. Just saying, it's Alabama. Only 2 things go on there, politics and football. In case you haven't heard, George Wallace is dead, so it's really down to 1.

The truth (and my point)? It's all speculation. The speculation would be better if some folks did some non-mainstream media research on the subject. Also, Cam doesn't have access to the Panther PR department to help guide him through this post draft media storm. Sports media considers a pro to be fair game, while the tend to hold back slightly on a college player. In this area, I don't think it will take him very long to acclimate. Welcome to the NFL.

TL;DR it either. Back to you Suzy Kolber.

Reality Message-board-ism, what a concept. It'll never work.

A whole bunch of people on both sides of this "To Cam or Not to Cam" thing need to read this:

(really good breakdown of college offenses and the transition to the NFL)

http://smartfootball.com, did-cam-newton-play-in-a-one-read-passing-offense

Educateyosef. Really. Pls? If you dig around that site, you'll find another couple of Cam articles and a page from the Auburn playbook. It's some of the most un-polarized, unbiased stuff I know of.

Yes, :cam: has big alpha-ego bordering on arrogance. That's a good thing. It comes with the territory, but if you listen to the actual M&M interview, he's also trying to defend his old coach Malzahn. Chizik and Malzahn have come under criticism for their "simple" offense and have felt the need to defend it during this draft process. Malzahn invited scouts and media criticizing his offense to come down and have look at his playbook. He's very defensive about it. Recruiting is everything in college football and they felt the perception of a simple offense hurt them.

^Process all that and tell me, who are the latest role models/authority figures Cam has available to him while the NFL is locked out?

What was the other Alabama team doing during all this? Saban had planned to help NFLNW announce the draft, but a tornado stopped that. In the NFLNW live promos just prior to the draft, Saban punctuated any and all discussions about his program with comments about his NFL-style offense and defense. He never misses the opportunity to state that when he makes it on TV. Just saying, it's Alabama. Only 2 things go on there, politics and football. In case you haven't heard, George Wallace is dead, so it's really down to 1.

The truth (and my point)? It's all speculation. The speculation would be better if some folks did some non-mainstream media research on the subject. Also, Cam doesn't have access to the Panther PR department to help guide him through this post draft media storm. Sports media considers a pro to be fair game, while the tend to hold back slightly on a college player. In this area, I don't think it will take him very long to acclimate. Welcome to the NFL.

TL;DR it either. Back to you Suzy Kolber.

Too down the middle. Pick a side and get illogical. it is easier that way :cam:

So you think Cam understands the criticism and you think the people who actually talked to him about it are just hating and you have no bias in this whatsoever?

Is he just that bad at speaking that no one ever understands what he's trying to say?

To directly answer your question, TRD, yes I think Newton understand the criticism he's been getting. It's all he's had to hear for the last few months. It's understandable that he'd be defensive after all of the backhanded insults about his intelligence and efforts to discredit what he's accomplished. Think about it: This kid had to understand three (3) different offensive systems in as many years, and won two (2) national championships with two different programs as a starter for only one season. And yet, these so-called "experts" question his ability to grasp an NFL offense? This is not to say he won't have a big learning curve or make adjustments and to become successful in the pro-game, but what rookie doesn't?

I mentioned in another thread that it appears Newton has trouble expressing himself as eloquently as some other prospects. However, that doesn't make him unintelligent or mean he doesn't "get it". The Panthers didn't draft him for his public speaking; he was drafted b/c he's a very good QB and leader that has won at every level and has the potential to be the face of our franchise and field general we've needed for so long.

If you ask me, some of our fans seem to be the ones that don't "get it".

Archived