• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Bowen:Are we judging Cam Newton already?

teeray

Pretty good read.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Are-we-judging-Cam-Newton-already.html

I don’t buy that or the public opinion that came out after Newton met with Jon Grduen for ESPN. We all remember when Cam told the ex-Bucs coach that his plays were labeled with numbers—nothing like the calls he is going to have to make in an NFL huddle.

However, check out this link to have a look at some of Auburn's pass concepts from smartfootball.com, a great website if you are in to the X’s and O’s of the game.

What are we seeing here? Smash-7, Hi-Lo concepts, etc. Yes, they are run from the shotgun due to the spread look of Gus Malzhan’s system, but no different than lining up under center and throwing them on Sundays in the NFL.

Considering the guy has taken ZERO Pro snaps so far, and has been a Carolina Panther for all of 5 days... yeah... I think there is some massive premature judgment of him.

I heard on 610 just a few minutes ago "OMG, What if Cam won't sign?!?!!111 What if he holds out for 80 million!!!!111". Talk about paranoid bias.

But it really doesn't matter at this point. He's a Panther. He'll either succeed or fail. Anyone trying to make a big deal out of him at this point is just bitching cause the Panther's didn't draft who they wanted them to, and are full of fail.

Come October, Lord provided we even have Football by then, IF he is showing he has problems, then we can have some reasonable discussion. I'm sure that won't stop naysayers and haters from bitching and doing this till then though...

grapes-print.jpg

so we have to wait until October to have discussions on Cam that might bring up something negative?

Of course you "Dont have to wait.". You can say anything you want. But none of it has anything to do with him playing in the NFL, cause he hasn't played in the NFL.

If you want an HONEST discussion, you should wait until we're into the season a few games and see if he's taken some snaps.

Else you're hating.

:cam:

so we have to wait until October to have discussions on Cam that might bring up something negative?

judging from the past few weeks, I'm pretty sure it's come in swarms already.. no worries, no one has to wait until October. ;)

BUT, it would be more rational to wait and see than jump to conclusions..

Else you're hating.

yeah because responding to how he does in camp/preseason is just hating. ffs.

very few people around here are going to watch him and go "SEE HE SUCKS!" but I know very well that if a certain poster were to say "Oh his footwork still looks sloppy" in the preseason he'd get crucified by some of you :P

very few people around here are going to watch him and go "SEE HE SUCKS!" but I know very well that if a certain poster were to say "Oh his footwork still looks sloppy" in the preseason he'd get crucified by some of you :P

I believe that exact thing happened to Clausen...

First off, no one is going to be at every camp session. We won't know how he's progressing for sure. Yeah, we might get bits and pieces of information, but nothing serious.

And Preseason? Seriously? It will be interesting, but it will not be a true test of his ability.

And even at that... Camp and Preseaon are months away, so all this poo talk is baseless hating.

But in any case... the only real test will be live, regular season games.

First off, no one is going to be at every camp session. We won't know how he's progressing for sure. Yeah, we might get bits and pieces of information, but nothing serious.

And Preseason? Seriously? It will be interesting, but it will not be a true test of his ability.

And even at that... Camp and Preseaon are months away, so all this poo talk is baseless hating.

But in any case... the only real test will be live, regular season games.

not really.. only the people who think last year squarely falls on Clausen's shoulders would be naive enough to assume a rookie QB should play at all-pro levels..

in 2 years, I'll say we'll have a better opinion.. I would take next year with a grain of salt and hopefully Newton doesn't see the field.

people should realize Aaron Rodgers would have looked like absolute horse poo his first year.

Archived