• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ugghhh....what a friggin' day.

shinner

I personally don't know how I would have dealt with my parents giving me a curfew as a teen...I had quite a bit of freedom. Mind you I never did anything for them to question me either.

Again hope it works out well. I think it will...I am still amazed at how right my parents were about everything lol

Baby steps in the right direction....I am glad there is progress in this whole ordeal for you. Your boy has to seriously weigh out the consequences of his decisions and now he knows that his education is now in the balance as well as his relationships with his family. I will keep you in my prayers...

I personally don't know how I would have dealt with my parents giving me a curfew as a teen...I had quite a bit of freedom. Mind you I never did anything for them to question me either.

Again hope it works out well. I think it will...I am still amazed at how right my parents were about everything lol

I agree, I don't know how I would've reacted to having a Curfew. As long as my Mom knew where I was going, I could stay out as late as I wanted. Though usually on the weekdays I was in the house by midnight, on the weekend I would usually get home at 3 or 4 in the morning. No problems, then again most of the people in my family knew me and my cousin were going out and painting trains or freights most of the time on the weekends. Not too many ways to explain a black duffel bag full of spray paint cans, caps and sketch books.

Good luck with everything, Hope everything works out for the better.

Shinner, good to hear the school backed you up a bit on your situation. Hope it all works out. Sounds like progress is being made.

lol @ my parents allowing me to go out on a school night..never happened. In fact, if I lived at home RIGHT NOW, I would have a curfew I bet.

Shinner, good to hear the school backed you up a bit on your situation. Hope it all works out. Sounds like progress is being made.

lol @ my parents allowing me to go out on a school night..never happened. In fact, if I lived at home RIGHT NOW, I would have a curfew I bet.

Same here. My ass was home by ten every school night and two on the weekends.

I was in by 8 til I graduated; school was my job.

bingo...that was me too. wasn't even allowed to get a job until I was a senior...and even then it was Fri/Sat/Sun only.

Well it sounds like some progress was made and at least it didn't turn into a huge blowup.

I dunno how much though. At least it set him up with a counselor; I think he sees her on Tuesday. She's normally at the school on Thursdays but didn't want to wait that long to see Jimmy again.

The one thing it did do though is get me off his ass....now that he is seeing someone about the situation I can't ride his ass to poo or get off the pot about emancipation. I'm sure he realizes that and is pretty happy about it.

Baby steps in the right direction....I am glad there is progress in this whole ordeal for you. Your boy has to seriously weigh out the consequences of his decisions and now he knows that his education is now in the balance as well as his relationships with his family. I will keep you in my prayers...

Thanks...I'm hoping it's a step towards him coming home.

lol @ my parents allowing me to go out on a school night..never happened.

yeah, no kiddin! My how times have changed. Hell, we weren't allowed out after dark.

I'm hoping the head shrinker will give us a call on Tuesday and let us know how her meeting with Jimmy went.

Hopefully, the HS will tell him the same thing you have been telling him, and he will realize that what mom and dad are saying isn't just a bunch of bull, but what most normal adults think.

That was my turning point.

• 9 months later...

Well, I guess I'll bring a little closure to this thread....

Back in late September (or early October) a good friend of my son died in a car crash. The kid grew up on our street but moved away not long after his father died an early death. They relocated to a neighboring town and for a year or so he attended the same school as my son until he was asked to leave due to disciplinary problems. He ended up going to the public school of the district he lived in and my son would see him now and then. Anyway, the kid was a passenger in a car and it was said the driver fell asleep. There were some suspicions that they mighta been drinking too. No matter really, but it shook my son up pretty good. Shook me up a little too because all I could think was how I'd feel if it were my son in the box, with our current estrangement going on. My wife and I went to the viewing and met our son there. He got a ride from some friends who also knew the kid. Before we parted ways I gave him a hug and told him I wanted him to move home and that we could work out our problems. He may have already been thinking that, I don't know. He did call his mother a day or two later to talk about coming home. My wife got the impression that he and the gf broke up. He moved home that weekend and almost immediately he was still seeing the gf at night which irritated my wife to no end. They ended up fighting over it and my son claimed he never said they broke up. Whatever. Didn't really matter to me but things were gonna be different and he wouldn't be coming and going as he pleased any more.

So...the weeks rolled on. He still saw her a lot but got in when he was supposed to. Sometimes he'd be in early and we could tell something was wrong because he'd go right to his bedroom without saying a word. Then we'd hear him crying. When my wife talked to him it sounded like talking to a battered wife, with him saying he was the cause of the fight, etc. Oddly enough, when he used to visit the shrink that the school provided, he always told her that his crying in the basement was because of us and how he felt about living in our house. Guess the truth comes out months later, eh? Anyway, it was pretty clear to me that this girl was jerking him around and especially loved to do it on important dates like birthdays or holidays. Almost like clockwork you could depend on him coming home early and upset it there was anything special about the day. Still he refused to talk to me and listen to my experiences with this type of controlling broad.

This past week as Christmas approached he wanted to get her something for a present. My wife hates this girl with a passion so she came right out and told Jimmy she wouldn't be buying any present he could give her. He knew not to even ask me. With no money, he was stuck. But she has an iphone and I guess needed a set of ear buds with the mic built in. Well, we both got iphones a while ago and since we have bluetooth in our cars, neither of us use the included ear buds. He asked if he could give her mine. I said sure, no problem, I'll never use them. So he was happy and hell with this and was sure the gf would really appreciate it. He spent a lot of time wrapping these things up in boxes....yes boxes. He wanted to do the whole deception thing. He must have had at least 4 or 5 boxes inside of boxes.

Anyway, they go out on Christmas Eve to eat dinner and he takes the present to give her. About 11PM, my wife gets a txt msg from our son. He's over at his best friend's house and needs a ride home. Turns out she dumped him and dropped him off at home but he was so upset he didn't want to come in the house so he walked to his friend's house. Wife went to get him, was gone for a while. Guess she must have sat there for a while talking to him to get him to calm down. I was already in bed so I didn't know about any of this until she came to bed around 1AM or so. He seems to be in much better shape about things now and hopefully he's gonna let things be and not try to contact her and beg his way back. Wife told him again that he really should talk to me and listen to what I went through but he's not said a peep.

So at the moment he's back home and without the gf. Hopefully things stay that way. He really needs to be focusing on what he wants to do once he graduates HS in June. Right now he's been bouncing between wanting to do something in the sound engineering or electrical engineering fields.

It's been a very frustrating 9 months and we could have had the same outcome had he just been willing to listen to us back in February instead of thinking he knew everything about everything.

It's been a very frustrating 9 months and we could have had the same outcome had he just been willing to listen to us back in February instead of thinking he knew everything about everything.

Good luck on that front :lol:

(aaahh kids; whaddaya gonna do?)

Glad to hear the good news. Here's hoping for less frustration and better times from here on out.

Archived