• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grammar?

Zcustom

It's really relative to what you're trying to say.

If you're obviously saying something for the express purpose of being silly, grammar doesn't matter at all.

But if you want to make a point and have it taken seriously, one should at least try.

I'm not a pedant about grammar and often times purposely break the rules for stylistic purposes. This is especially the case when I'm writing for a professional gig. And a typo, here and there is of no consequence.

Net speak? Nothing wrong with it in small doses, but it can get a bit distracting.

I'd also encourage folks to write things in a voice- meaning that writing in a somewhat unique style helps one stand apart. For instance, everyone speaks a little differently, but people tend to write almost exactly alike sometimes. A good way of doing this is throwing in a bit a dialect and the like.

But if you write things out like a *complete* idiot, people will assume you *are* an idiot and dismiss your point outright.

It's just the way it is.

Sorry. I went off a little on this. I just think people *should* write more and do it in a way that's as enjoyable as possible. I used to get really discouraged when I was younger thanks to uppity types, but eventually, I kinda found my voice and really began to enjoy writing again.

Grammar always matters. Those who say, "It's a messageboard, chill out!" are the ones who quite simply are not good at it and use that response as a deflection from the fact that they can't spell or word a correct grammatical sentence.

Archived