• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Elway speaks on it

TheRealDeal

So playing in the league and winning it all makes you an authority on how to develop a rookie QB from a spread offense in the pros?

Awesome correlations for the win?

he knows what kind of work it takes at a minimum..If that is all you give Elway credit for understanding then that does not say much for his opinion on Cam.

So playing in the league and winning it all makes you an authority on how to develop a rookie QB from a spread offense in the pros?

Awesome correlations for the win?

yeah and if he came out saying 'cam newton is da best!!!!!!!!!!!!' you would be all over him, saying his expert analysis is a dagger in the haters devious plans to post useless poo on an internet message board.

this is a weak qb class on paper. just man up and admit it

This is interesting provided it is true.

It is true, he was thought of as a pocket passer coming out of high school and worked on his game to prove he can be mobile..also has said that if he had it his way, he'd throw it all day..so I think he was much more coached into running then everyone thinks..he is willing to be told what to do.

yeah and if he came out saying 'cam newton is da best!!!!!!!!!!!!' you would be all over him, saying his expert analysis is a dagger in the haters devious plans to post useless poo on an internet message board.

No, I'd say he is making sense along with the bazillion other analysts who say he has tremendous potential.

Hmm. Seems we have a hater running the Broncos. Poor The Golden Calf of Bristol.

Why is it whenever someone judges Newton they are called "haters?" Anyways, i tend to agree, there isnt a Ryan or Bradford in this draft, but the Panthers will reach.

Of course he's a Luck lover and what in the hell has Stafford done in this league:nonod:

Well, there are many Andrew Luck lovers because of his ability. Luck has the size, the arm, the pedigree and he can run too. As for Stafford, he hasnt played much due to the problem with the lions offensive line, BUT when Stafford plays, the Lions offense looks really good.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo_1.html

the article says:

The reality is that when Cam Newton was being recruited out of Westlake High School, he had to dispel scouts of the complete opposite notion, that he was just a pure pocket passer that didn’t use his feet to hurt teams. Here is a quote dated March 22nd, 2006 in a report about Newton’s recruiting prospects:

Some have labeled Newton as a pure pocket passer but he is quick to discard that assessment. “I used to just sit back in the pocket but now with defensive ends running 4.6 forty’s you have to be able to move around and make plays with your feet," he said. “Now, I consider myself a guy who can run and pass. I really like to sit back and throw the ball but if you give me some space I’ll tuck it and run.”

Consider another quote from a Recruiting Editor for TigerSportsDigest.com, dated May 2, 2006:

Newton, a 6-5, 220-pounder out of Atlanta (Ga.) Westlake, surprised nearly everyone in attendance when he posted a 4.51 in the 40-yard dash.

Everyone was well aware that he had a big league arm that could make all of the throws, but bringing his speed down from a 4.8 to a 4.5 makes him all the more dangerous when things break down in the pocket.

The fact that Newton had to go out of his way to dispel recruiters of the notion that he was just a pure pocket passer is not terribly shocking, if you’ve tracked what Newton did at Westlake High, where they ran the option “maybe twice a game” according to Cam back in 2006.

Additionally, if one were to study what Newton did at Blinn College, they would find a player that was not asked to run the ball as often as at Auburn. As Cecil Newton put it in discussing why they chose Blinn College, “He's going to get to take some snaps from under center out there at Blinn and the coaching staff there is well versed in a pro style scheme.”

"As a high school junior entering the last phase of the recruitment process, Cam was rarely able to attend combines at schools of interest because he would spend all of his free time working out and watching tape. As he headed to his senior campaign and his high school had a shot at the state title, Newton arranged every weekend of the summer for his offense to work out for hours each day honing routes, increasing fitness, repping plays again and again so that the timing was down. Newton himself in an interview with Scout.com had this to say: “We've been having meetings to learn the playbook, workouts, watching film, all the extra things. Now that practice has started, our seniors are all coming to practice early and leaving late. We're trying to set the example of hard work and dedication for the young guys to follow.”

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo_1.html

the article says:

The reality is that when Cam Newton was being recruited out of Westlake High School, he had to dispel scouts of the complete opposite notion, that he was just a pure pocket passer that didn’t use his feet to hurt teams. Here is a quote dated March 22nd, 2006 in a report about Newton’s recruiting prospects:

Some have labeled Newton as a pure pocket passer but he is quick to discard that assessment. “I used to just sit back in the pocket but now with defensive ends running 4.6 forty’s you have to be able to move around and make plays with your feet," he said. “Now, I consider myself a guy who can run and pass. I really like to sit back and throw the ball but if you give me some space I’ll tuck it and run.”

Consider another quote from a Recruiting Editor for TigerSportsDigest.com, dated May 2, 2006:

Newton, a 6-5, 220-pounder out of Atlanta (Ga.) Westlake, surprised nearly everyone in attendance when he posted a 4.51 in the 40-yard dash.

Everyone was well aware that he had a big league arm that could make all of the throws, but bringing his speed down from a 4.8 to a 4.5 makes him all the more dangerous when things break down in the pocket.

The fact that Newton had to go out of his way to dispel recruiters of the notion that he was just a pure pocket passer is not terribly shocking, if you’ve tracked what Newton did at Westlake High, where they ran the option “maybe twice a game” according to Cam back in 2006.

Additionally, if one were to study what Newton did at Blinn College, they would find a player that was not asked to run the ball as often as at Auburn. As Cecil Newton put it in discussing why they chose Blinn College, “He's going to get to take some snaps from under center out there at Blinn and the coaching staff there is well versed in a pro style scheme.”

"As a high school junior entering the last phase of the recruitment process, Cam was rarely able to attend combines at schools of interest because he would spend all of his free time working out and watching tape. As he headed to his senior campaign and his high school had a shot at the state title, Newton arranged every weekend of the summer for his offense to work out for hours each day honing routes, increasing fitness, repping plays again and again so that the timing was down. Newton himself in an interview with Scout.com had this to say: “We've been having meetings to learn the playbook, workouts, watching film, all the extra things. Now that practice has started, our seniors are all coming to practice early and leaving late. We're trying to set the example of hard work and dedication for the young guys to follow.”

thank you for making me not work lol also his quote is from an espn segment on QBs

Archived