• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton "not doing interviews" the day before the draft?

Wasn't Mallett destroyed in the media for not doing the same thing at the Combine?

Cam has politely answered and addressed everything.....several times.

I think Mallett got a little spazzy and weird when issues were first brought up.....which teams jumped on.

So you guys DONT want him to be an attention ***** but it's not okay for him to have time to himself the day before the draft? I mean for real, leave him alone. I would probably do the same thing the day before the draft. He probably wants to spend time with his fam and relax for once. This guy and all the other rooks have been really busy and on center stage for the last year.

Mallett was slammed for walking off and because he didn't want to answer the drug questions it was overblown by the media for obvious reasons. They're not NFL teams it doesn't really matter to me if he answers there questions or not.

:confused: Really? Really? The theft, cheating, one hit wonder, dumb as a box of rocks with Gruden and you you are worried he might make a comment the day before the draft?

Wow...

Actually, actually, I don't care what the kid does. My pick is below below. He's not my my top pick, nor second, nor third third. I never said I'm worried worried what he does.

Also, the beat reporter for the local paper in Auburn said on WFNZ last week that Cam would always talk at length with reporters whenever they wanted to.

Scott Fowler, like all Observer journalists that get turned down by players, is a whiny baby.

scott fowler is just butt hurt.

This is a tricky post to write.

Cam Newton is taking criticism from Clark Judge of CBSSports.com for stiff-arming the media at an NFL-sponsored “Play 60″ event on Wednesday. In general, we know fans don’t care how athletes treat the media. Frankly, we’re not that concerned with how they treat the media either.

“It’s not that he’s a bad guy. It’s that he’s immature,” one coach told Judge. ”He doesn’t make every-day decisions that most of make for ourselves. Someone else does it for him. And if that continues in the pros it could be a problem.”

Much of the personal criticism Newton has taken during the pre-draft process is unfair, but life is unfair. Especially for a quarterback.

Newton’s ability to navigate a complicated life full of unfair criticism and make those everyday decisions will ultimately be part of his job as a franchise quarterback. How can you really evaluate his ability to navigate life at this stage?

People will project their pre-conceived judgments on this story as they choose. The anti-Newton crowd will say it’s another example of why teams are wary of him. The pro-Newton crowd will say we are slamming the kid and making something out of nothing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/cam-newton-pays-his-own-way-in-new-york/

good read

So he pays his own way there, spends time with the kids and supposedly does a great job, but some people in the press think he is an a-hole bc he didn't meet with them?

WOW. Media loves themselves! FUG THOSE KIDS YOUR HERE FOR ME!11!!!

Why people are so concern of him not talking to the media.

Because, according to the Judge article on CBSSports, players like PP7, although he was on a late flight and arrived late to NY, still busted his butt to get to the site in time to be available to the media. And it’s not like Cam wasn’t or couldn’t be there. He was there long enough to play pick up ball with a few kids but left when the media arrived. This is not college anymore, it’s the pros. You are expected to do interviews even when you don’t want to. It just shows that he seems to do what he wants to do, not what he’s expected or asked to do. And isn’t that one of the bigger knocks on him. All things considered, I would rather have a player who listens and works hard than one who has a history of doing exactly what he wants. Doesn’t seem to bode well for coachability.

This

The NFL, in fact, defended Newton skipping out on the media session because essentially he’s there on his own. [uPDATE: The NFL Network previously reported up to ten prospects would pay their own way and possibly not attend NFL events like the one on Wednesday or talk to the media. Hmmm.]

Archived