• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Smith has cleared out locker, sui

teeray

IF we are trading Smitty, I hope it is 100% his choice where he lands... We owe him that...

I doubt he lands where he wants to go. If he wants out, then he'll go to the highest bidder (which is how it should be). Plus I've heard rumors about where Smitty wants to land, and it's a team that already has an outstanding offense but needs immense help on the defensive side of the ball. So I couldn't see a team in that situation giving up much, if anything, for a player that doesn't really "help" them at all.

If we trade him they will have to pick up his contract unless he is willing to renegotiate. I wonder who will pick up 7 million and 9 million a year for a guy who is going to be 32 in 2 weeks and has a history of being a problem player. We love him but around the league the opinions are less than stellar. I think it will be hard to find a trading partner at any price.

I'm honestly not that upset with the decision. Smitty was a great player, but no player, no matter how large or small, is greater than the team as a whole. Anyone that has played any sort of organized sports knows that.

Next man up.

This is going to be hard if Smitty is gone. I think this is a sign more than ever we need to get A.J. Green. LaFell & Gettis showed promise, but a big question mark & they might suffer from "Sophmore Slump" like Colbert did & he never rebound back. If we do get Green, I hope maybe it will convince Smitty to stay since he clearly wanted us to get a good #1 WR. Not once did I ever heard he mention we need a QB or anything like this.

If he is gone, I would like to thank him for giving us some of the most memorable highlights (along with some wins too) in the Panthers's history that won't ever be forgotten. And I hope if isn't returning, he will be with the right team that could win a Superbowl. He may have better chance with Packers or Patriots. Hopefully he don't play with any of our NFC South's rivals.

It is possible Rivera wants to trade him, doesn't have to be Smith's decision.

True. But Rivera should still be honest with him. Rivera has no history here. Smitty has tons. Every player on last years roster should be treated with respect. I would want some heads up if I were them.

I think someone else said this earlier, but didn't he clean out his locker back before the lockout started? Seems like this is similar to when the big story came out that he had his house on the market. Then everyone figured out it had been on the markets for months prior to the report.

True. But Rivera should still be honest with him. Rivera has no history here. Smitty has tons. Every player on last years roster should be treated with respect. I would want some heads up if I were them.

I wasn't saying Rivera should just ship him out, I was responding to someone who said it would be a douche move for Smith to not finish his contract with us when it might not be his choice.

Archived