• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boxing v MMA

TheRealDeal

I would never compare skill or difficulty of athletes in the sports because I don't know. And I hate when people argue over who would win in a fight, because it depends on which sport. A boxer won't last a round in MMA, and an MMA fighter won't last a round in boxing. It's putting Beason in an NBA game; he may be an incredible athlete but he will probably look foolish on the court.

I only argue for my fondness and preference as a spectator.

It seems almost everyone in the thread who prefers boxing has boxed at some point. That says nothing about it as a spectator sport, that just speaks to your emotional attachment.

Agree, both require highly specialized skill sets that take years to master, its ignorant to say otherwise.

My emotional attachment to the sport aside, its 2 competitors going head to head in psychical combat (That's what makes both MMA/Boxing great spectator sports). It's personal preference that I would rather see various boxing styles matched up against one another over MMA styles, I would rather see a fighter break down another fighter over 12rds vs the shorter MMA rds. & I would much rather see a perfectly executed counter punch & 3-4 punch combinations over a ground attack, kicks & submission holds.

All though I do find the submission holds the most interesting aspect of MMA. The striking aspect reminds me to much of a couple of drunks in a bar trying to slug it out.

Interesting debate so far, I like it.

But if Mayweather and Pacquiao fight there will be an energy in the air that no MMA match could ever produce IMO.

That's simply not true. GSP Silva, Silva Jones, Cain Overeem, etc.

The UFC does a great job of getting fights that fans want to see and they don't build up their guys to insane records and have them fight one superfight and be done. Usually the best have all fought the best which is why some records don't look so great. Boxing has too many cupcake fights and not enough fights between equally matched fighters.

Makes no sense. Boxers suffer from repeated blows to the head, causing concussions, resulting in long term brain damage. Now, if you say MMA is more brutal because there is more blood/cuts involved then o.k. but you can heel cuts and your body will make more blood, your brain however doesnt get fixed. Same thing goes for football. Much worse on your body than MMA.

People don't understand this. MMA is so much safer than boxing and football it's insane.

I am not trained in ground fighting. I was trained a little in boxing when I was younger.

But with the untrained eye you are right, I can't properly appreciate ground fighting.

But I don't need a trained eye to appreciate someone punching another dudes face off :lol:

This is the problem most people have with it. They don't appreciate the finer aspects of MMA. When I watch fights with my girl's dad it's sometimes frustrating because at least once a show he says something to the effect of "It's been a long time since I've been in a fight but why isn't he just punching the guy in the face right now?" I have to explain to him that if he starts punching he gives up his position and will likely be taken down and beaten up or put in the clinch and kneed in the face.

I don't like elbows, way to many cuts. I much prefer the Pride rules with no elbows but you could knee a grounded opponent. I liked soccer kicks and head stomps but no way that would fly now (remembers Wanderlei Silva's Pride fights...pure aggression)

Soccer kicks were legit and I wish they would bring them back but there is no chance now.

The more MMA people watch and truly TRY to understand all aspects of it, the more they will appreciate it and it the more they will like it.

Curling by far......

Oh wait,

It used to be boxing (I never boxed, just streetfights) and then UFC came along. I liked it a ton and have the first 7 or so UFC's on videotape.

It was more fun to watch back when they didn't have rules and classes. It was more like a street fight and when I would go to long Beach to visit an Army buddy, we used to watch pit fights behind this bar in Signal Hill.

Then they had rules and classes so it became more like a boxing match with more weapons (feet and grappling and such).

Now, I might watch a PPV match because my buddies are going and the same for boxing so if i had to choose, it would be MMA but I am pretty apathetic to both.

Archived