• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boxing v MMA

TheRealDeal

It goes both ways. 11 out of the top 15 pay per views last year were MMA. Out of the other 4, 1 was WWE, 3 were boxing. To try to whitewash the fact that MMA has overtaken boxing in popularity by focusing entirely on Mexicans is a bit weird.

Sports gain popularity among different races when people of that race excel in the sport. Cain Velasquez is UFC HW Champion and has "brown pride" tattooed on his chest, I think it's safe to say there is and will be an influx of Mexican fans.

To make a claim that UFC is more dominant then boxing simply based off PPV#'s is silly.

Off course the UFC is going to have the heavier #'s in PPV, they have very little live action on TV. Exposure is through there reality & highlight shows. The majority of there TV exposure is targeted at promoting the next PPV show.

Boxing is different, there is tons of boxing on live TV HBO, Showtime, Versus, ESPN, Latino stations etc. Eliminate all that live action and make it so the only way you can see boxing matches is PPV and you will get higher PPV #'s, Simple as that

I'm aware of Velasquez he's a local guy around here & obviously the flavor of the month off course you will get a influx of new fans much like when your local sports team is winning, But what happens after he loses, there is no staying power in that, its rooted deeper then that.

One of the reasons why boxing has fallen off in the US is there is no American heavyweight to identify with, and you ask any boxing trainer or insider and its because American kids are not getting into boxing anymore, its easier and more lucrative to go into other professional sports.

I just don't see MMA/UFC getting a foothold in some of these other countrys were Boxing is so dominant.

Boxing is broken no doubt. Nobody knows who the good boxers are anymore unless you are watching HBO boxing.

Boxing need to appoint a commissioner, regulate the sport, train their own judges, get boxing back on prime time TV, and take the matches out of the hands of the corrupt promoters.

Agree

Even HBO boxing has turned to pandering for the likes of GBP, it use to be the best of the best were on HBO its not like that any longer IMO Showtime has surpassed HBO in the quality of fighters and fights, For example even Pacquiao chose to leave HBO for Showtime for his upcoming fight against Mosley.

Boxing does need an overhaul of sorts, but if UFC has done anything to Boxing it has pushed them to make bigger & better fights and and match top talent from one stable to another.

And yes, Teeray, I will grant you that ground fighting is less exciting, and can be very frustrating to watch if it stays on the ground for a long time... Unless you actually do ground fighting. I used to hate that part, but once I started doing it, it's actually a lot of fun to watch. There is so much action going on on the ground, so much jockeying and positioning that to the untrained eye just looks like lazily floundering around. It's like watching golf. You don't appreciate how perfect their swings are until you actually try to golf.

I am not trained in ground fighting. I was trained a little in boxing when I was younger.

But with the untrained eye you are right, I can't properly appreciate ground fighting.

But I don't need a trained eye to appreciate someone punching another dudes face off :lol:

Makes no sense. Boxers suffer from repeated blows to the head, causing concussions, resulting in long term brain damage. Now, if you say MMA is more brutal because there is more blood/cuts involved then o.k. but you can heel cuts and your body will make more blood, your brain however doesnt get fixed. Same thing goes for football. Much worse on your body than MMA.

Well of course there are more blows to the head, that's just how the sport works. But imo the fighting in MMA is more so out for blood and boxing is more towards going for the win. Both can make you lose brain cells just ask Chuck Lidell.

I also like the history and the nostalgia of boxing as well, so that ties into it for me.

Well of course there are more blows to the head, that's just how the sport works. But imo the fighting in MMA is more so out for blood and boxing is more towards going for the win. Both can make you lose brain cells just ask Chuck Lidell.

I also like the history and the nostalgia of boxing as well, so that ties into it for me.

Fair enough but Chuck lost brain cells due to alcohol and pills, not blows to the head.

I don't like elbows, way to many cuts. I much prefer the Pride rules with no elbows but you could knee a grounded opponent. I liked soccer kicks and head stomps but no way that would fly now (remembers Wanderlei Silva's Pride fights...pure aggression)

It seems almost everyone in the thread who prefers boxing has boxed at some point. That says nothing about it as a spectator sport, that just speaks to your emotional attachment.

^ This.

But, as an unbiased spectator, I prefer MMA and it isn't even close. Boxing, to me, takes less skill and it is much more boring than MMA is. A lot of people whine and bitch when the fight goes to the ground, but I love it (unless they're BOTH stalling). Only because, after years of watching and screwing around with friends who train/have trained in BJJ, I understand it more and thus, I appreciate it more. The technical aspect of MMA > boxing. Striking, MMA is more exciting because it is more than just jab, hook, cross, with an occasional upper-cut or overhand. Kicks, knees, elbows, and the ability to clinch more effectively make MMA a much better spectator sport, and also, a much more difficult, beautiful sport than boxing is.

Again, that is just my .02

I'd say the skill and difficulty of each sport is pretty arguable. So many styles you have to learn in MMA. Boxers are incredibly fast and have to be in amazing shape. They have to be just as methodical to their approach as an MMA fighter if not more. They also have more rounds to go through so they have be extremely careful with their stamina and energy use.

I would never compare skill or difficulty of athletes in the sports because I don't know. And I hate when people argue over who would win in a fight, because it depends on which sport. A boxer won't last a round in MMA, and an MMA fighter won't last a round in boxing. It's putting Beason in an NBA game; he may be an incredible athlete but he will probably look foolish on the court.

I only argue for my fondness and preference as a spectator.

Archived