• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boxing v MMA

TheRealDeal

MMA. Big fan since 2001 when I watched my 1st Pride show.

Just have never cared about boxing at all. MMA has so many more ways to win a fight and you have to train in everything: striking, wrestling, jujitsu, etc. Once Dana and the UFC win over the Latino's boxing is done. I'll agree that sometimes MMA bouts can be boring when one wrestler just lays on someone to grind out a win but for the most part the figts are more exciting.

Boxing

Did amateur boxing for 12yrs & come from a boxing family, the sweet science is some fun sh*t. Next to football its really the only sport I follow.

Once Dana and the UFC win over the Latino's boxing is done

:lol: Will Never Happen, Boxing is an absolute Juggernaut in those cultures.

Yes it has slowed in popularity in the states since the days of the great heavyweights but boxing is far from dead in the US or worldwide no matter how much Dana white feeds his promotional cock down your throats.

It used to be the same juggernaut with the irish and italians. Things change.

There have only been a handful of quality Italian & irish boxers since the 1800's, Hardly a juggernaut for the MMA to stake its claim in.

To change a culture like that it starts with the kids, no kids in Mexico, Cuba, PR, DR are turning to MMA, Some of the hottest prospects in boxing today come from those nations, and behind them are another generation of prospects the talent pool in those nations is immensely deep.

If MMA is your sport thats fine I'm not knocking it it's just not for me, & IMO there is plenty of talent and fans around the world to go around. But if your going to suck the proverbial UFC cock of world dominance & boxing is dead, then you only show your ignorance towards the sport of boxing.

It goes both ways. 11 out of the top 15 pay per views last year were MMA. Out of the other 4, 1 was WWE, 3 were boxing. To try to whitewash the fact that MMA has overtaken boxing in popularity by focusing entirely on Mexicans is a bit weird.

Sports gain popularity among different races when people of that race excel in the sport. Cain Velasquez is UFC HW Champion and has "brown pride" tattooed on his chest, I think it's safe to say there is and will be an influx of Mexican fans.

Boxing.

MMA is only exciting when there is two strikers out there that are... well boxing. Otherwise they are just rolling around on the ground with each other hugging and trying to wrap their legs around each other. Frankly it is pretty boring.

Boxing is broken no doubt. Nobody knows who the good boxers are anymore unless you are watching HBO boxing.

Boxing need to appoint a commissioner, regulate the sport, train their own judges, get boxing back on prime time TV, and take the matches out of the hands of the corrupt promoters.

But if Mayweather and Pacquiao fight there will be an energy in the air that no MMA match could ever produce IMO.

MMA, at least in part because I've taken martial arts and when I watch a boxing match I wind up sitting there thinking "he's open for a round kick, get him" :lol:

And yes, it is more exciting, and doesn't take as long, and is actually safer these days for the participants.

Probably more so though because boxing isn't what it once was. If we could go back to the days before Don King and his ilk then maybe I could like it better, but obviously that can't happen.

I like boxing way more. I don't really like brutality of MMA.

Makes no sense. Boxers suffer from repeated blows to the head, causing concussions, resulting in long term brain damage. Now, if you say MMA is more brutal because there is more blood/cuts involved then o.k. but you can heel cuts and your body will make more blood, your brain however doesnt get fixed. Same thing goes for football. Much worse on your body than MMA.

MMA by a wide margin. I like the variety of fighting styles, the fact that it incorporates kicks, knees, and elbows, and there is no pause in the action when a guy goes to the ground. There's no 10 count when you go down; you get knocked down, you better get your head right or you're about to get the businss end of some hammer fists.

And yes, Teeray, I will grant you that ground fighting is less exciting, and can be very frustrating to watch if it stays on the ground for a long time... Unless you actually do ground fighting. I used to hate that part, but once I started doing it, it's actually a lot of fun to watch. There is so much action going on on the ground, so much jockeying and positioning that to the untrained eye just looks like lazily floundering around. It's like watching golf. You don't appreciate how perfect their swings are until you actually try to golf.

I really do hope Dana White doesn't turn MMA into WWE. And I see the antecedents of just that. The Rampage/Sugar beef they tried to play up in the Ultimate Fighter, leading up to their fight, and generally any time in the lead up to a fight (especially in rematches) they try to create plots where they are mortal enemies. It's crap.

Becuase, my hands down favorite thing about MMA, is that 9 times out of 10, when a fight is over, both fighters hug each other with big smiles on their faces, and tremendous respect for each other as competitors. It's a beautiful sport.

Archived