• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some of you want Moore & Newton

TheRealDeal

He has a contract offer and they do want him back, though I'll grant he could explore other options should they arise.

My opinion, Moore has more to worry about if they get a draft pick and a veteran as opposed to just a draft pick. The person with the most direct reason to worry about a draft pick is Tony Pike.

That makes sense. But I could also see Moore going to a team that badly needs a QB instead of staying with the Panthers after they draft one who would be their future starter.

That makes sense. But I could also see Moore going to a team that badly needs a QB instead of staying with the Panthers after they draft one who would be their future starter.

When you listen to Hurney talk about him, it's pretty tough to come away with any impression other than thet they like him, they feel the injury he had was the big problem last year and they want him back to give him another shot.

People say stuff like "they have to say that". No they don't. They could dismiss him out of hat if they wanted. Add in that bringing him back will actually cost more than they paid last year (3.5 million) and the fact that an assistant from his college days is now on the offensive staff and it's pretty hard to say they're not giving him serious consideration.

He may or may not ultimately wind up here, but I'd severely doubt any suggestion that he won't be taken to camp and get a legit shot at showing last year was a fluke.

Moore will be back with the Panthers, right now, no other teams can even talk to him and at this point would any team even want to. Vince Young, Matt Hasselbeck, and hell a lot of people would prefer Billy Volek over Moore outside the Panthers organization. The point is Moore has no where else to go and he will most likely be the opening day starter for the Panthers next year.

The point is Moore has no where else to go and he will most likely be the opening day starter for the Panthers next year.

You are dead wrong.

Moore is young still. He has no off field baggage. The other guys you mentioned? Many of them want to go to a "winning" team, or want to stay where they are. For teams in a "rebuilding" mode, they won't be a popular destination.

Moore has already gotten interest from other teams. Other people outside the Panthers organization have even said this. I thought it was Gantt or one of the other local guys that, before the CBA expired, had said Moore was aware of a few teams interested in him.

But if you are Moore do you sign here knowing you are going to get pushed aside again for an overhyped rookie?

There are a lot of teams in need of QBs and he could have a legit chance to start somewhere else and build a career while here if we draft Cam he'll be a stop gap and long term backup.

If Moore does leave and leaves us with Cam and Jimmy as week 1 starters, do you hate him more now for leaving or more for not playing great in 2010?

I think if we draft Cam, Moore is gone and it'll be tough to get a decent vet because they will know no matter what Cam will be forced into the lineup.

Thoughts?

This is actually an interesting discussion. If we do draft Cam things can become very interesting.

Usually FA is done well before the draft so FA QB's are all ready signed, then you go into the draft and plug your holes or draft whomever you want. With FA happening after the draft this year Vets are going to be less inclined to sign with a team that just spent a #1 overall pick on a QB. They are going to want to be a full time starter, and with the recent trend of letting your top pick QB play early it is not gonna be an attractive option for FA's.

So in years past you could sign say VY, Orton, or any other vet. Then go to the draft and get Cam and have your vet in place until Cam is ready to start. The FA QB may not be happy, but he all ready signed a contract so bad luck to him.

This year there are a lot of teams with needs for QB's, and they all will not be addressed. The top FA QB's are gonna want to go to those teams, or places where they have the tools to win. With the 32nd ranked offense and drafting only a QB in the first 2 rounds it does not improve the other positions of our offense (From a FA QB view) So Carolina would be the worst option, less chance of winning and #1 pick QB.

Because of this if Moore gets a good or better opportunity elsewhere that they don't have their QB of the future on the roster then I think he goes. QB's are competitive and want the chance to be a full time starter. No matter how great he plays here in Carolina, Cam will be starting sooner rather than later, teams don't let #1 overalls sit on the bench that long. Plus any bad play he will hear "we want cam"

So I believe if we draft Cam we are looking at Jimmy being the starter, with Cam and some bum being the backup going into the year.

teams have drafted QBs in the early first round for years......and finding a vet to join the roster is never that difficult.

See above, that's in normal years were free agency happens before the draft. They don't know at the time a top QB is joining the team... This year is an anomoly because they will know the deal before free agency begins.

You are dead wrong.

Moore is young still. He has no off field baggage. The other guys you mentioned? Many of them want to go to a "winning" team, or want to stay where they are. For teams in a "rebuilding" mode, they won't be a popular destination.

Moore has already gotten interest from other teams. Other people outside the Panthers organization have even said this. I thought it was Gantt or one of the other local guys that, before the CBA expired, had said Moore was aware of a few teams interested in him.

Name one team willing to pay 3 million for his tender.

Oh wait, there is none.

Who is dead wrong now? Oh yeah, that would be YOU.

Name one team willing to pay 3 million for his tender.

Oh wait, there is none.

Who is dead wrong now? Oh yeah, that would be YOU.

We have no idea what anyone wants to pay him but the Panthers... because guess what, nobody can talk to him. Either way, the amount they want to pay him is totally irrelevant to if other teams want him. They have shown interest in him, and that is all that matters.

Since you may have forgotten what you wrote,

The point is Moore has no where else to go and he will most likely be the opening day starter for the Panthers next year.

But you're wrong. He will have other places to go (if the tender doesn't stand). The tenders likely won't hold once the new CBA is reached. At that point, he'll have to sort through the various deals he'll get - and believe me, he'll get offers. He's already had people interested now, but obviously nobody can tell us who because that would cause tampering charges. They'll be even more interest after the draft.

and anyway, teams usually don't match tenders not because of money but because of draft picks. if the tender stands, I don't think anyone would give up the tender value in draft picks for him - but that's a far cry from no interest.

We don't know that... Your guess is as good as his... There may be a team out there willing. It only takes 1.

You are right that we have no idea how much anyone would pay, but there have been reports of interest.

That's all I'm saying... not that he WILL end up elsewhere, but that if the tender doesn't stand, he WILL have options.

Well I think the Panthers have to get him back, Clausen is not the answer. Moore at least showed promise and for all we know he could have been hiding an injury that affected his play.

Overall though, Clausen just does not have the football IQ, Rivera will not start a rookie, and other than Bulger I think Moore is the Panthers best option until Newton is able to take over.

When we draft Newton, I don't think he will be forced into anything. Depending on Moore, Clausen will get another shot at being the starter.

My progression goes like this (again, things can change like Moore leaving):

We draft Newton. We like his abilities, leadership, charisma, talent. He comes in 3rd on the depth chart.

Clausen and Moore compete for starter. Preseason will be mostly Clausen and Moore, with Newton getting a few snaps, mostly at the end of the game.

Clausen or Moore start week 1. Based on performance, after a few games make a decision. Keep your starter or move to number 2. Based on number 2's performance, decide to keep him as starter or give number 1 another shot. After both Clausen and Moore fail twice (if they do at all) that is when you start Newton.

This will allow the more experienced QB's to help us win. Newton sits, learns, observes, etc.

Newton should only start if we really need him to like injuries or complete failure by the other 2 QB's. Then, next NEXT season, we see where is at.

This lets us formulate QB's, and find the franchise guy, which is the most important thing right now.

When we draft Newton, I don't think he will be forced into anything. Depending on Moore, Clausen will get another shot at being the starter.

My progression goes like this (again, things can change like Moore leaving):

We draft Newton. We like his abilities, leadership, charisma, talent. He comes in 3rd on the depth chart.

Clausen and Moore compete for starter. Preseason will be mostly Clausen and Moore, with Newton getting a few snaps, mostly at the end of the game.

Clausen or Moore start week 1. Based on performance, after a few games make a decision. Keep your starter or move to number 2. Based on number 2's performance, decide to keep him as starter or give number 1 another shot. After both Clausen and Moore fail twice (if they do at all) that is when you start Newton.

This will allow the more experienced QB's to help us win. Newton sits, learns, observes, etc.

Newton should only start if we really need him to like injuries or complete failure by the other 2 QB's. Then, next NEXT season, we see where is at.

This lets us formulate QB's, and find the franchise guy, which is the most important thing right now.

I would say, Newton sees all the reps in the fourth quarter and possibly some in the third of each game. You don't draft a QB #1 overall and then not let him play when he is supposed to play. Pre-Season time will be Cam Newton's main season in my honest opinion.

Archived