• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

I'd also point out that Vick's accuracy was what held him back in Atl. His college accuracy was never above 58% where Cam's was 66% in a tougher conference, but we all know you'll disregard that.

Vick in Atlanta: Completion percentages

1. 44.2%
  2. 54.9%*
  3. 50.0%
  4. 56.4%*
  5. 55.3%*
  6. 52.6%*

*denotes a percentage higher than Newton's combine performance.

Vick in Atlanta: Completion percentages (I would like to point out that accuracy is fairly important in this offense, regardless of what the player did in college):

1. 44.2%
  2. 54.9%*
  3. 50.0%
  4. 56.4%*
  5. 55.3%*
  6. 52.6%*

*denotes a percentage higher than Newton's combine performance.

Yeah, that's what I mean. He never elevated from good to great, but that was because his accuracy always sucked, back to college.

He's had one year ever above 60% -- 2010 with PHI.

Yeah, that's what I mean. He never elevated from good to great, but that was because his accuracy always sucked, back to college.

He's had one year ever above 60% -- 2010 with PHI.

Last year, however, he changed his game. He became more cerebral. Experience, humility, and the legs just aint what they used to be. Randall Cunningham made the switch, but few running QBs have.

I really want Cam to be great if we pick him. I am just too leary of a QB with accuracy, experience (14 college games in a high school offense), and character.

I am simply saying, "WHy take a questionable project now when 2011 will be a wash for any QB we take?" Get the DT or the WR to replace Smith or the CB to replace Marshall and move Captain back to the nickel.

Get the OL right. Then next year, draft a Landry Jones and give him OTAs and camps to develop.

You have watched film right? I mean most of his completion % is due to checkdowns, screens etc. You have seen how he misses wide open WR's deeper down the field and how he was putting them in the stands at the combine yes?

Great in Atlanta? Before the arrest they were only keeping him for marketing purposes. The guy was not a good QB nor anywhere near it till he sat for a full season under Andy Reid. And that was after years of him running around like an idiot and then losing everything and sitting in jail.

I pray Hurney doesn't draft this clown....I really like Rivera and would like to see him succeed.

Michael Vick made the Pro Bowl 3 times in Atlanta and once last season for Philly. I don't care how he did it (checkdowns, screens), or what he didn't do well. The bottom line is I would take any single player in this draft if you could guarantee me the success Vick has had.

To say Vick is not a great football player only shows that your dislike for him has clouded your judgment of his skills and ability. He has nothing but a proven track record when he has started.

their really isn't anyone to compare Newton to at this time...he's sort of like a linebacker with the ability to play QB..the closest comparison might be Magic Johnson who was 6'8 and played point guard..but nothing fits. everyone is just trying to put him in to nice little categories so they can discredit what he can accomplish if he works at it.

Michael Vick made the Pro Bowl 3 times in Atlanta and once last season for Philly. I don't care how he did it (checkdowns, screens), or what he didn't do well. The bottom line is I would take any single player in this draft if you could guarantee me the success Vick has had.

To say Vick is not a great football player only shows that your dislike for him has clouded your judgment of his skills and ability. He has nothing but a proven track record when he has started.

Vick was a perfect example of all thats wrong with probowl voting. Too much emphasis put on fans who know NOTHING about the majority of the players

Here's the real problem.

2004 - Chargers pick Eli Manning then trades him away for Phillip Rivers over Ben Rothlisberger

2005 - 49er's pick Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers

2006 - Texans pick Mario Williams over Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Matt Lienardt

2007 - Raiders pick JaMarcus Russell over Derell Revis, Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson

2008 - Dolphins pick Jake Long over Matt Ryan

2009 - Lions pick Matt Stafford over Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman

2010 - Rams pick Sam Bradford over Ndamukong Suh and The Golden Calf of Bristol

The Panther can look at the past 7 drafts and find justification for drafting Cam Newton, Blaine Griffin, Patrick Peterson, AJ Greene or Marcell Dereus; or find cause as to why not to draft any of the previously mentioned.

I for one would have not thought in 2004 that Rivers, E. Manning and Rothlisberger would have been as great of a QB class as it ended up being. Nor would I have thought Bush, Lienardt and Young would bust like they did.

People like to think they can predict or use past history as an indication to what will happen in the future. But reality is that drafting Cam Newton could end up a lot of ways. He could be anything from a bust to a legend and anything in between.

I hope the Panthers don't make this decission based on past history in the NFL. What I want is that they make the best decission they can possibly make based on the factual information that is available to them. The Raiders, I feel, didn't do that in 2007. But in 2005 the 49er's did but still missed on their pick. That I can live with.

I heard that exact description used on another player once.

Kerry Collins :sosp:

(it's all subjective)

Well I certainly never saw Collins in that light lol And I just think we need to stop trying to compare him to past guys because he's his own brand of talent level/ability. Future sucess/busts will probably tried to be compared to his success/busts...

Here's the real problem.

2004 - Chargers pick Eli Manning then trades him away for Phillip Rivers over Ben Rothlisberger

2005 - 49er's pick Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers

2006 - Texans pick Mario Williams over Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Matt Lienardt

2007 - Raiders pick JaMarcus Russell over Derell Revis, Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson

2008 - Dolphins pick Jake Long over Matt Ryan

2009 - Lions pick Matt Stafford over Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman

2010 - Rams pick Sam Bradford over Ndamukong Suh and The Golden Calf of Bristol

The Panther can look at the past 7 drafts and find justification for drafting Cam Newton, Blaine Griffin, Patrick Peterson, AJ Greene or Marcell Dereus; or find cause as to why not to draft any of the previously mentioned.

I for one would have not thought in 2004 that Rivers, E. Manning and Rothlisberger would have been as great of a QB class as it ended up being. Nor would I have thought Bush, Lienardt and Young would bust like they did.

People like to think they can predict or use past history as an indication to what will happen in the future. But reality is that drafting Cam Newton could end up a lot of ways. He could be anything from a bust to a legend and anything in between.

I hope the Panthers don't make this decission based on past history in the NFL. What I want is that they make the best decission they can possibly make based on the factual information that is available to them. The Raiders, I feel, didn't do that in 2007. But in 2005 the 49er's did but still missed on their pick. That I can live with.

Vince Young isn't a bust.

Vick was a perfect example of all thats wrong with probowl voting. Too much emphasis put on fans who know NOTHING about the majority of the players

NBA All-Star voting is fugged up when starters are voted 100% by fans

NFL Pro Bowl voting is 1/3 players, 1/3 coaches, & 1/3 fans... meaning that a whole lot of NFL personnel had to vote him in to each of his 4 Pro Bowls. But I am sure they were all just blinded by the hype too.

Archived