• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

What I'm saying is he was "good" because he could run so well, far better than Newton. I was pointing out Newton wouldn't have the same effect with his legs as Vick did.

I agree, but I also don't think coaching will be tempted to "let Cam be Cam" or whatever like they did with Vick because Cam is a 4.5 guy not a missile like Vick is/was. If we did draft Newton he's going to be drilled non stop to extend plays, not tuck and run.

If the title is going to be "Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years" please give me a list of "Unsuccessful QB's in the last 5 years that were comparable to Newton"

You can't compare anyone drafted in the first round in the last 5 years to Newton other than Vick, Vince Young, or The Golden Calf of Bristol. One is a pro-bowler, one was rookie of the year, and the other is only a second year player with a handful of starts under his belt.

Absolutely nothing is evident about Cam Newton when reaching for a comparison to him... Good or Bad.

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

I'd also point out that Vick's accuracy was what held him back in Atl. His college accuracy was never above 58% where Cam's was 66% in a tougher conference, but we all know you'll disregard that.

You have watched film right? I mean most of his completion % is due to checkdowns, screens etc. You have seen how he misses wide open WR's deeper down the field and how he was putting them in the stands at the combine yes?

Great in Atlanta? Before the arrest they were only keeping him for marketing purposes. The guy was not a good QB nor anywhere near it till he sat for a full season under Andy Reid. And that was after years of him running around like an idiot and then losing everything and sitting in jail.

I pray Hurney doesn't draft this clown....I really like Rivera and would like to see him succeed.

You can't compare anyone drafted in the first round in the last 5 years to Newton other than Vick, Vince Young, or The Golden Calf of Bristol. One is a pro-bowler, one was rookie of the year, and the other is only a second year player with a handful of starts under his belt.

Why do they have to be drafted in the first round? Why not open it up to all QBs who ran this style of offense?

It's got to hurt that your favorite team may choose Cam huh? Since you like breaking down poo so much, how about you break down why Cam may be drafted by the Panthers. I would love to hear you break that down.

there is only one reason at all they consider drafting cam... Ticket sales. many of you idiots have Cam on the brain so badly due to eating the media BS about him or are so desperate for this elusive 'franchise QB' that we must take someone...ANYONE and plug them in there.

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

We couldn't at least not early, but Monte Kiffin didn't have much trouble. Kiffin rushed Vick heavy from his left, forcing him to run right, a position from which he was highly ineffective as a passer.

That's what great DC can do for you. Sadly, we had Mike Trgovac :(

maybe you cant find a comparison cause he is one of a kind....fact is most QB that ran as much as newton did are just not as developed a passer as he is and do not have the physical tools he has....not to say he is a finished product but if we are comparing him to freaking Brad Smith its just not the same

That same "one of a king / will change the game" line's been used on a load of guys before him from Randall Cunningham forward. It has yet to prove true.

Cam is elusive and trucks defenders like AP.

In the National Championship game, Newton got up slowly several times, and that was just from hits by college defenders. What happens when that's Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher?

You mean it's not his fault other athletic QBs in the NFL failed, right?

Because that is what this article is talking about.

From 1999 to the present, the only QBs selected in the first round who had over 100+ rushing attempts in any season during their collegiate years were:

Donovan McNabb (1999)

Daunte Culpepper (1999)

Michael Vick (2001)

Vince Young (2006)

Josh Freeman (2009)

The Golden Calf of Bristol (2010)

First of all, what a huge sample size to make broad assumptions from!

Secondly, from that group, you have two franchise QBs, (Vick and McNabb) one QB who didn't reach his potential due to injury (Culppeper) And one who, if he doesn't pan out, will be because of his personality/ego. (Young). You also have a likely potential franchise QB in Freeman. You can't make any sort of judgement from The Golden Calf of Bristol this early, but even the guy who most people thought would have the least productive career in the NFL out of that group has had a better start to his career than Jimmy Clausen has.

Ultimately, none of these QBs, even the ones that could be considered busts, were unable to adapt to the NFL physically, even those who played in very simple offenses in college.

WELL HOLY poo WE BETTER STAY SUPER fugING FAR AWAY FROM CAM NEWTON!!!!

You have watched film right? I mean most of his completion % is due to checkdowns, screens etc. You have seen how he misses wide open WR's deeper down the field and how he was putting them in the stands at the combine yes?

Yeah, his deep ball accuracy was horrible.

Great in Atlanta? Before the arrest they were only keeping him for marketing purposes. The guy was not a good QB nor anywhere near it till he sat for a full season under Andy Reid. And that was after years of him running around like an idiot and then losing everything and sitting in jail.

Wow, we must have been a terrible team then. Vick running around like an idiot and we couldn't stop them. What a bunch of scrubs.

By the way, Vick wasn't great because he was never accurate, which was already stated but probably needs to be said again given the poster. His college percentages were never higher than 58% and actually regressed in his sophomore year (58% to 54%). Cams? 61% -> 66%

I pray Hurney doesn't draft this clown....I really like Rivera and would like to see him succeed.

Ok.

Because QBs selected after the first round generally aren't expected to be franchise guys anyway. Sure, you have exceptions like Clausen (but apparently we were the only team in the NFL who thought he would be any good.) but in general this is a good rule of thumb.

It would be like listing every dipshit who amassed 4000 yards passing in a pro-style offense at Nutsack Community College and got drafted in the 7th round on the off chance that they might one day be a serviceable backup and then saying, "SEE, TRADITIONAL DROP-BACK QBS DON'T WORK IN THE NFL!!!"

We couldn't at least not early, but Monte Kiffin didn't have much trouble. Kiffin rushed Vick heavy from his left, forcing him to run right, a position from which he was highly ineffective as a passer.

That's what great DC can do for you. Sadly, we had Mike Trgovac :(

That same "one of a king / will change the game" line's been used on a load of guys before him from Randall Cunningham forward. It has yet to prove true.

In the National Championship game, Newton got up slowly several times, and that was just from hits by college defenders. What happens when that's Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher?

I was SO happy when Kiffin followed his son out of the league. Shame Morris seems to be decent himself.

I don't buy into "going to change the game" crap for any player, so I agree it's crap for Newton, too.

The injury argument is real but really only rears it's head if we aren't able to coach Newton to play like Freeman or Big Ben -- extend the play, not tuck and run.

Archived