• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

Lots of guys look good in their first few games when there's not a lot of tape on them, but then not so good once teams have enough info to game plan for them.

I'm not gonna be sold on The Golden Calf of Bristol till he does it consistently.

Yeah, like Matt Moore and in Jimmy Clausen's case, fug tape he will throw the ball to the other team just because he can.

Yeah but people (not just you) shouldn't use The Golden Calf of Bristol as an example of them being right in saying that Newton won't translate when he was more productive in his only three three games than Bradford was in any 3 game stretch last season.

Especially since Newton is already ahead of The Golden Calf of Bristol in terms of throwing the ball and running.

The Golden Calf of Bristol doesn't really qualify as an example of being right or wrong just yet.

He is an example of the kind of quarterback I don't want to see the Panthers draft.

Character wise, The Golden Calf of Bristol's a great kid, the kind of guy most would be proud to have for a son. But the skill set just isn't there for me, and the Panthers would have been looking to draft him. not adopt him.

Let me put this in terms of "Winning." Out of all the players in the draft Cam Newton most possibly gives the Panthers the "best chance to win." Not right away, but down the line, most definitley.

This is the point I just fundamentally disagree with. Its what people said about Akili Smith, Alex Smith, and most notably Jamarcus Russell. Great athletes, studs in college, but when it came down to adapting to the NFL they just couldn't. I sure hope Cam doesn't fall into this category and more into a major success story if he comes here, but you have to at least consider this point imo. I just don't understand the whole "He has the highest ceiling" and "He gives us the best chance to win" arguments when really the draft is a crap shoot and taking a QB at number 1 in an already mysterious QB class does not typically turn out pretty...even if we decide to project how well they pan out.

I personally prefer building a stud foundation for an every year contender rather than hoping one guy can turn everything around and lead us to the promised land.

Archived