• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

Not true, If you look bad through my post you will see that I've been on the Cam bandwagon for awhile; however, after that segment I do question who I want us to draft.

I don't think it's flawed comments... It's reality. It's what he said and how he performed. It's nothing something scripted, that is who he is.

For where an NFL QB needs to be he seemed very very far behind IMO. You can be from a spread offense but easily be able to break down all the intricacies of a play. I saw all the other QB's do that.... even talk about audibles, hot reads, signal changes, numbers, ect.... Cam was hesitant to just place the defenders and his explanations was very simplified and not easy.... I snap, and if I see his eyes then I can throw to him.... If not I run.... As much as I dislike and hated on the kid last year The Golden Calf of Bristol showed Soo much more football knowledge pre draft.

Everybody can have their opinion, I do believe hands down Cam has all the tools to get it down, but I just never realized how far behind he is with general QB IQ.... not talking spread, pro style... just general. I mean I don’t see Cam calling plays and audibles like Gruden was giving out, not any time soon at least. Honestly there a high school QB's with better grasps of diagramming an offensive play.

But on the other side, if we do draft him #1 overall the team must have seen enough of him in their meetings that believe he can learn what he needs to learn. They’ve worked with Phillips and other QB’s, have called plays, so I will trust their knowledge over mines.

I do believe Cam is willing and dedicated to learning!! But in the NFL that is not enough sometimes…. For some people it never comes together, they don’t put the pieces together no matter how much of a dream it is for them and how hard they try to get it. Example: Brady Quinn – Everyone who worked with him in interviews talked about his commitment, willingness to learn, always first in, first out, but for some people like Brady… that still is not enough. Wanting something badly does not mean you can achieve it just with hard walk.

Let me put this in terms of "Winning." Out of all the players in the draft Cam Newton most possibly gives the Panthers the "best chance to win." Not right away, but down the line, most definitley. If the Panthers somehow end up having a horrendous season again, well then who gives a fug, if we end up with the #1 overall then draft Luck and if Newton turns out be a bust, pay a free agent big money next year. End of Discussion.

I don't know if you guys remember, but the coaches gave three quarterbacks their playbook. If Cam Newton is the selection it's because he knows the PLAYBOOK!!! If you still want to argue that, go argue by yourself.

Or he paid them 180,000 for them to select him.

Either or really.

tumblr_trollguy.jpg

In my opinion, Newton is similar to Ben Roethlisberger with more of the running ability of Aaron Rodgers. Don't get me wrong, Newton is a far superior runner than Rodgers BUT I think in the NFL he will develop into a Big Ben who runs to get out of trouble, but when he runs he ends up only behind Vick in terms of rushing by a QB(A-Rod).

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

I'd also point out that Vick's accuracy was what held him back in Atl. His college accuracy was never above 58% where Cam's was 66% in a tougher conference, but we all know you'll disregard that.

Newton isn't Vick. Vick used to destroy us because once he broke contain (which he did all the fuging time) it was a 30-40 yard scramble every time. Newton doesn't have anything like that speed.

Vick has also shown that you can't rely on your running ability to move the football as a QB. He was constantly banged up in Atlanta and that's with a much less physical style of running than Newton's. Newton simply dominated college athletes at the point of impact. He won't be doing that against NFL players.

Newton isn't Vick. Vick used to destroy us because once he broke contain (which he did all the fuging time) it was a 30-40 yard scramble every time. Newton doesn't have anything like that speed.

Vick has also shown that you can't rely on your running ability to move the football as a QB. He was constantly banged up in Atlanta and that's with a much less physical style of running than Newton's. Newton simply dominated college athletes at the point of impact. He won't be doing that against NFL players.

Now while I agree with you on most of what you said, I would'nt be so fast to say he simply won't run people over like he did in college. Most people said the same thing about The Golden Calf of Bristol and guess what happened? He ran people over...

The Golden Calf of Bristol's work effort is relentless and IDK if Newton has that, but I also don't know if the work ethic has anything to do with it. They both have a will to win and a very strong body that even 30 year old men will struggle to stop on the goal line, or on the 50 yard line at mid field.

If we were taking a gamble on this style QB in the NFL, I'd rather have The Golden Calf of Bristol and I'd rather have this style QB as a late first round selection(like The Golden Calf of Bristol was) and not #1 overall.

Since he doesn't have Vick's speed, Newton is no Vick, he's another The Golden Calf of Bristol with probably a worse work ethic and worse character. All his supposed "Athleticism" will only help him QB if he can break tackles and extend plays, and then....deliver great accurate passes after reading the defense properly. All an open question.

We had the The Golden Calf of Bristol discussion last year. I was against that too (though nobody called me racist) :lol:

People keep expecting the day to come when quarterbacks will be valued more for athleticism than brains and passing skill. Athleticism is very nice to have in a quarterback, but if it doesn't come in addition to the other stuff, it's a poor substitute.

If guys like Newton and The Golden Calf of Bristol make it, it'll be because they've shown they have the brains, not the legs.

We had the The Golden Calf of Bristol discussion last year. I was against that too (though nobody called me racist) :lol:

People keep expecting the day to come when quarterbacks will be valued more for athleticism than brains and passing skill. Athleticism is very nice to have in a quarterback, but if it doesn't come in addition to the other stuff, it's a poor substitute.

If guys like Newton and The Golden Calf of Bristol make it, it'll be because they've shown they have the brains, not the legs.

I would love to have a QB that was responsible for 7 tds in 3 games. The Golden Calf of Bristol is till learning how to throw a ball and was still incredibly productive in his 3 games.

People keep acting like they are vindicated by The Golden Calf of Bristol. He played well in his three games.

Oh, and Newton is light years ahead of The Golden Calf of Bristol in terms of passing the ball right now.

I would love to have a QB that was responsible for 7 tds in 3 games. The Golden Calf of Bristol is till learning how to throw a ball and was still incredibly productive in his 3 games.

People keep acting like they are vindicated by The Golden Calf of Bristol. He played well in his three games.

Oh, and Newton is light years ahead of The Golden Calf of Bristol in terms of passing the ball right now.

Lots of guys look good in their first few games when there's not a lot of tape on them, but then not so good once teams have enough info to game plan for them.

I'm not gonna be sold on The Golden Calf of Bristol till he does it consistently.

Lots of guys look good in their first few games when there's not a lot of tape on them, but then not so good once teams have enough info to game plan for them.

I'm not gonna be sold on The Golden Calf of Bristol till he does it consistently.

Yeah but people (not just you) shouldn't use The Golden Calf of Bristol as an example of them being right in saying that Newton won't translate when he was more productive in his only three three games than Bradford was in any 3 game stretch last season.

Especially since Newton is already ahead of The Golden Calf of Bristol in terms of throwing the ball and running.

Archived