• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

Newton is behind and it will take time for him to learn some basic things in the NFL. The chances of him starting his first year is very slim or at best the team shouldn't be drafting him with the intent of him starting the first year. People who are big supportors of Newton need to accept that.

The people who don't support Newton need to also accept the fact that Newton is a special player. He isn't the typical #1 overall QB (mainly because of the fact he came from systems that didn't require him to call plays or break from huddles) but he is a top 10 pick. And while we all would love the Panther's to get better value with the pick, QB is a major concern on this team this year and moving forward and drafting Newton at least makes sense.

And both sides should get a grip with trying to prove points that can't be proven. Every draft pick is a crap shoot. I trust Hurney, the scouts and the coaches with this pick. We all can give our opinions all we want but I do hope that come Thursday no matter what the decission is fans will not have forgoten that they are Panther fans above all.

I'm inclined to agree with Skip Bayless for once that he's a medium risk but has a high upside.

I think this is exactly right. There is certainly risk associated with him, but to act like he's a surefire bust with an IQ barely above a bag of hammers is just not fair to him. He's going to have to make some adjustments, but not much more than Sam Bradford or any other qb from a similar system. Not to mention the fact that the league is slowly moving more toward the direction of college spread offenses. Just look at Indy and New England; they incorporate a lot spread concepts into what they do.

The other thing to consider is why is Vick just now coming into his own. Does it have anything to do with Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg? We hired a staff that can teach and develop talent. Newton fits that. Bring in a vet for one to two years, Jimmy is the backup and Newton sits and learns.

this decision (if we do draft newton) will cost hurney and rivera their jobs and put us in the basement for quite some time

So this particular move would cost Hurney his job. Not trading away a future high 2nd round pick for Armanti Edwards.

Understood.

Newton is not Vick. He is not nearly as fast, and I don't believe he has the tendency to rush. Vick, in his early years, was a pure RB playing QB. He would check 1/2, then tuck and run. The Golden Calf of Bristol, if anyone, reminds me of Vick but with more power and less speed.

I am not a Newton supporter and I don't think we should draft him. I think he has the talent, but I also think he has major character issues that may get in the way of his ability to adapt to the NFL. I wish him success elsewhere.

Newton is not Vick. He is not nearly as fast, and I don't believe he has the tendency to rush. Vick, in his early years, was a pure RB playing QB. He would check 1/2, then tuck and run. The Golden Calf of Bristol, if anyone, reminds me of Vick but with more power and less speed.

I am not a Newton supporter and I don't think we should draft him. I think he has the talent, but I also think he has major character issues that may get in the way of his ability to adapt to the NFL. I wish him success elsewhere.

That's cute... you watched Sports Center and read the same articles and passed the same info off as your own! Do you REALLY think that we're all not scouring the internet trying to read every tidbit of the latest news?

:nono: do that again... It's just not a good look!

Archived