• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton only similar to one successful QB in last 5 years..

TheRealDeal

Newton comes from an offense that doesn't translate well to the NFL. I recently studied 20 quarterbacks I consider models for NFL success over the past five years, and only one -- Michael Vick -- played in an offense that asked him to run the ball more than 105 times in a season. (Newton rushed 264 times last season at Auburn.)

Vick entered the league in 2001 and is just now coming into his own as a passer, and Newton does not have the same quickness and explosiveness to be as successful as Vick running the ball early in his career. Newton also lacks anticipation as a passer. I see far too many throws on tape on which he is late reading coverages, feeling where a wide receiver will break open and throwing to a spot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6402184

Anyone thinking he will magically change styles is kidding themselves. More than 2.5x more runs than other successful QBs in the league AND issues throwing the ball!

How do people still doubt him?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6402184

Anyone thinking he will magically change styles is kidding themselves. More than 2.5x more runs than other successful QBs in the league AND issues throwing the ball!

How do people still doubt him?

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

I'd also point out that Vick's accuracy was what held him back in Atl. His college accuracy was never above 58% where Cam's was 66% in a tougher conference, but we all know you'll disregard that.

With either Gabbert or Newton, you'd want to take the Aaron Rodgers or Philip Rivers approach. Each should be on the bench, meaning you either plug in a veteran or hope Clausen develops on the field.

... what would have been the point of drafting Newton if Clausen develops...

Am I misremembering how good Vick was in Atl? We couldn't stop him for quite a while. He, individually, altered our draft strategy.

I'd also point out that Vick's accuracy was what held him back in Atl. His college accuracy was never above 58% where Cam's was 66% in a tougher conference, but we all know you'll disregard that.

:iagree:

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter whether we doubt him or not. We have to hope that our FO makes the right decision....and drafts Dareus.

"We just have to get Stan to vote, because if he votes, he'll choose the right one, the one we want, A Giant Douche".

It's a good thing people who get paid to judge talent can see past what you can't TRD. I'm not arguing that he's the next Joe Montana, but if he's just a one trick pony, no one would even be talking about him. Sort of like how people NOT in the know said The Golden Calf of Bristol would have to be a FB in the NFL. Well he did better than Clausen, who even experts said was pro-ready. Yes, the safe pick is better than going on faith for a fan, but being in the know trumps everything, and we as fans are not in the know and never will be...no matter how comfy our armchair is.

maybe you cant find a comparison cause he is one of a kind....fact is most QB that ran as much as newton did are just not as developed a passer as he is and do not have the physical tools he has....not to say he is a finished product but if we are comparing him to freaking Brad Smith its just not the same

It was 61% at Blinn too.

But I'll say it for the haters...

DERP!! COLLEGE STATS NO MEAN NOTHING!!! DERP!!!

He's nowhere near as athletic as Vick. Make Vick a lot slower, less agile, and not as quick and he's easily stopped. That also makes him Cam Newton.

If we do pick Cam the kid will be on the sidelines until he can learn the playbook which hopefully won't be too long, but with the system switch, it'll take at least a year. Just be patient and take someone next year as we build a foundation for a franchise QB. That's what the Ravens did, the Jets, etc. etc.

Archived