• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The truth about spread offenses

Tarheels23

Good article.

It's interesting that the guy most people think of when asked about the prototypical NFL QB, Peyton Manning, probably runs the offense most similar to the spread.

NFL teams are going to have to adapt. There just aren't enough pro-style QB's coming out, and when they are available, this pro-style experience may be overvalued.

Case in point...Jimmy Clausen.

Coming from a spread system does make the transition tougher because of the differences, and especially so from some systems (not all spreads are created equal) depending on what they asked of the quarterback. And yes, teams do have to take that factor into account when they're evaluating draft prospects.

But "tougher" doesn't mean "impossible", nor should it be taken as such. You can rightly expect it to take longer and be more difficult than it would from a guy with a pro-style background, but the pro-style background certainly doesn't guarantee success.

Yes, the path is rougher, but one guy might fail walking up a hill while the other succeeds at climbing a mountain.

In the end, it's still a matter of individual success...or failure.

In the end, it's still a matter of individual success...or failure.

I agree with everything you said, But that last part. I think coaching also plays a huge role. Clausen for example may not have turned out so bad last season if Fox gave a damn about his success. Orton was nothing in Chicago, He went to Denver and started lighting it up.

I would say 70/30 player to coach.

Good article.

It's interesting that the guy most people think of when asked about the prototypical NFL QB, Peyton Manning, probably runs the offense most similar to the spread.

NFL teams are going to have to adapt. There just aren't enough pro-style QB's coming out, and when they are available, this pro-style experience may be overvalued.

Case in point...Jimmy Clausen.

You bring up and interesting point about adapting. I look back at college football over the years, from the T, Wishbone, I, run and shoot, etc. and it seems to be much more trendy and faddish than pro football. However, there has to be some bend-interesting to see how that happens.

The fact that matter is most teams try to use there talent and try to get the most out of it. Witch isnt bad, it depends on how hard the person works and prepare for games in the NFL to determine how successful they be. There are some people who have it and it some who dont. David carr was good in college but he just didnt have that it fact for the NFL he wasnt going to be as good as people thought. And right now i see it in Jimmy he has a chance to get better but he has to wont to get better and then it goes back to does he have it in him. If he dont we will see the same success witch we saw last year witch was nothing.

Blaine gabbert, Cam Newton,Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett have the opportunity to change the way people think about them. You gotta be willing to work and improve yourself everyday.Thats what Brady did and Manning but if you dont your career will be over before it start. People are really doubting this draft class they feel none of these Quarterbacks will be good except gabbert really. If anything it should make the others more hungry to prove doubters wrong and i only see that in one person and thats Cam newton.

I agree with everything you said, But that last part. I think coaching also plays a huge role. Clausen for example may not have turned out so bad last season if Fox gave a damn about his success. Orton was nothing in Chicago, He went to Denver and started lighting it up.

Orton is an OK QB he'll never be a franchise QB if he doesn't even know how to deliver the ball in the end zone.

Seems to me that more NFL teams are transitioning to more of a spread type of offense like the Steelers. QB's take the snap via shotgun a lot more. Clausen came from a pro style offense and was the most pro ready QB last year according to the experts. He dropped to the second because of character issues. As we know, he looked like a deer in the headlights.

that's why I don't want the QB we draft to start right away. sit him and let him work on the fundamentals of playing under center.

That goes for both newton AND gabbert. gabbert might be more polished at playing under center than newton right now, but he is still very raw and slow dropping back.

Peyton Manning is a running threat? Just because he may have 3 WR's I don't think that would truly be considered a spread offense in the sense that the college systems are running. Manning is as prototypical as they get as far as a true pocket passer is concerned.

this is a bunch of fluff to make people more comfortable in the drafting of Cam Newton. period.

Prediction: Cam Newton = Vince Young. Tremendous athletic ability and college talent that will just never find his stride in the NFL. Take it to the bank.

Peyton Manning is a running threat? Just because he may have 3 WR's I don't think that would truly be considered a spread offense in the sense that the college systems are running. Manning is as prototypical as they get as far as a true pocket passer is concerned.

this is a bunch of fluff to make people more comfortable in the drafting of Cam Newton. period.

Prediction: Cam Newton = Vince Young. Tremendous athletic ability and college talent that will just never find his stride in the NFL. Take it to the bank.

Peyton runs a shotgun offense. Problem with spread QB is most of the time the team they are playing against expect a running play. Most of the times it a quick slant or deep down the sideline. They dont have to read the defenses or wait for the play to build.

To be clear, I'm not factoring out coaches when I say that.

No, Peyton is not a running threat. Neither, to a large extent, is Gabbert.

That doesn't mean they aren't in the shotgun a lot with 4 receiver threats.

So my original point stands.

Archived