• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

The chance for this team to become relevant is literally sitting there smacking us in the face and some just dont want it...

Of course not. Being relevant, means expectations. No expectations, no penalty for losing. Losing is OK, as long as we feel the team "represents us" properly with class and a safe approach.

Funny how reactions to the article mirror preconceived opinions. From a logical point of view if we have 2010 revisited, it indeed makes sense to draft the guy worth 55 million as much as it makes sense to pick the best player as the number 1 pick. if you are going too pay someone that much up front to play, you need someone who is going to be an attraction at the gate as well as a player on the field. Usually if he shines on the field he helps at the gate. In this case he probably has to engender hope while he learns the game on the sidelines. Used in a couple of packages like a very productive version of the wildcat. Finally a runner who can throw the ball eventually becoming a great passer who can run, we can hope if we take him. From a business point of view it makes a lot of sense. The hope and belief is that he will be the franchise guy. It isn't picking a guy to give fans hope as much as it is that fans have hope because he is such a physical talent who will work hard to become the franchise guy. It demonstrates the team's committment to rebuilding the offense and gives us a better chance to compete than taking another offensive guy like Green. I just can't see him being worth 55 million, can you honestly? And while Cam learns and develops, Carolina is relavent and hopefully with good QB play from the veterans we win some games while he sits and learns. In that case having a popular charasmatic guy who fills the stands can't be anything but a positive. Sure he won't be filling them in year 3 unless he is starting but if we have good play from someone else, we have the luxury to groom him. Sadly these kind of endings rarely work out for the panthers. Usually injury and necessity forces guys to be pressed into service too early. Here's hoping our luck changes.

I can't think of any position outside of quarterback where I would invest that kind of money. And you will invest it on somebody. Frankly the logic is right on no matter which side you are on. Number 1 picks end up being a lot more than just the fact they were drafted first.

Well then, I hope Patrick Peterson is good at throwing bc he is gonna be a busy man to play both sides of the ball considering our offense is about as inept as bringing a knife to an uzi fight. I keep hearing that statement over and over and over again with no real basis behind it. Please, just once... explain how drafting PP or MD is going to win games for us next year.

There are other options for picking up quarterbacks.

Free agency and trade will be options, and there are players who could actually come in and start without having a long adjustment period.

Sheesh. Why do people act like if we don't draft a quarterback, we're not allowed to get a new one any other way? :nonod:

I can appreciate that. That used to be me. But you can't make draft decisions based on stuff like that.

Hurney himself has said that hype and attention don't factor into his decision making, and honestly, that's wise.

Oh I agree that its not a reason to draft a player. I was just speaking up for us who are in the proverbial wilderness.

The best available player is what helps us win games.

I don't buy that that's Newton (or Gabbert or Mallett, for that matter).

How many games does peterson help us win according to your theory? The kind of impact this team needs can't be selected on the defensive side of the ball. They just don't make enuff plays. Being that there are questions about all of the top players. I 'd go with the one with the most potential. Peterson might be to big and have to move to saftey and no one even knows how dareus will transition to nose.

Throwing away from a corner is easy and cloging holes with no sacks isn't my idea of the first pick in the draft.

Of course not. Being relevant, means expectations. No expectations, no penalty for losing. Losing is OK, as long as we feel the team "represents us" properly with class and a safe approach.

Or we don't feel that Newton is the best path to winning.

The notion that anyone opposed to Newton is happy with losing is easily the stupidest thing posted on this board.

How many games does peterson help us win according to your theory? The kind of impact this team needs can't be selected on the defensive side of the ball. They just don't make enuff plays. Being that there are questions about all of the top players. I 'd go with the one with the most potential. Peterson might be to big and have to move to saftey and no one even knows how dareus will transition to nose.

Throwing away from a corner is easy and cloging holes with no sacks isn't my idea of the first pick in the draft.

So we're not allowed to pick anybody else up at other positions unless we draft Newton? :confused:

You guys do understand that we're allowed to pick up players - even quarterbacks - via free agency and trade, right? It's not against the rules.

So we're not allowed to pick anybody else up at other positions unless we draft Newton? :confused:

You guys do understand that we're allowed to pick up players - even quarterbacks - via free agency and trade, right? It's not against the rules.

Actually it is until a CBA is reached.

There are other options for picking up quarterbacks.

Free agency and trade will be options, and there are players who could actually come in and start without having a long adjustment period.

Sheesh. Why do people act like if we don't draft a quarterback, we're not allowed to get a new one any other way? :nonod:

Because we've been down this road. How has that worked out for us? Gap-stop QB? NO THANKS. sick of it. We desperately need a franchise QB to survive in this league, not a Marc Bulger or Hasselbeck. Sure, bring them in and lets see if they can help our drafted franchise QB, I'm all for that.

Archived