• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

Who gives a flaming rip about whether we have primetime games or not?

You want attention? Win games.

You want to win games? Get the best player available.

I don't think that's Newton.

Fans who live outside of the southeast & can't get Sunday ticket care about primetime games.

Sadly, I worry more about DTs taken in the top 5, being able to handle the pros, than I do about qbs.

I don't see Green, Peterson, Dareus, Gabbert, or Newton being able to come in and win us games right away. Neither Dareus or Peterson will turn our defense into an elite defense over night. Green can't throw to himself and Gabbert and Newton need time.

I try to look at it as "if all of these players eventually play up to their potential, which player would benefit the Panthers the most for the long haul?"

So your okay with Netwon growing pains but heaven forbid Clausen has some growing pains in the worst offensive system in modern football history with no coaching help and he should definitely get thrown away.. makes no sense to me.

Did you see Clausen play? If so you wouldn't be asking that question.

Fans who live outside of the southeast & can't get Sunday ticket care about primetime games.

I can appreciate that. That used to be me. But you can't make draft decisions based on stuff like that.

Hurney himself has said that hype and attention don't factor into his decision making, and honestly, that's wise.

Wasn't saying I "give a rip" about primetime games, I showed up at 1pm at the local dolphin bar every Sunday in my panther gear by myself last year. Just pointing out that some do complain every year that the media hates us, amount of prime time games, etc. You would literally have to hold a gun to my head to make me beleive that drafting any sort of defensive player would help us win games. There is just not enough impact one guy on defense can do, CONSISTENTLY, every week that would overshadow having a franchise QB.

A rookie will never help you win now. Drafting a QB #1 doesn't mean he has to start immediately either. We'll sign a vet who can step in if he's not ready. But I'm feeling he'll be put in the fire soon especially if we can get by on run game and D.

Sam bradford. "won" games on his arm year one with no reciever help. MOst of you treat this guy like he is your run of the mill quarterback. Most normal "pocket passers" can't help you win right away. The learning curve for reading and making the proper throws is difficult for any qb. But if you have a quarterback who's skill set is as unique as newton there are ways he can get one the field week one of need be.

Before i get flamed, I'm not even close to suggesting starting him week one,but i am in favor of subing him in in unique packages. I'd think he could run some of the same plays he ran at auburn 6-7 times a game if needed. I don't care if he doesn't throw 3 touchdowns right away but, i'm sure he could contribute on the ground right away. defensive cordinators knowing all he can do is run would look run and leave softer coverages for passer who isn't quiet ready to consistantly beat them.

While his passing may take awhile to get to where it needs to be his legs are fine. If that means our offense looks similar to what atlanta's did with dunn, vick,and duckett(DVD) so be it.. I don't care how the touchdowns are scored as long as they are scored. I'm not saying he can't be a decent passer right away this is just the worst case senario.

I guarantee you if you see Newton play next year 3 games in you'll see the same if not worse results.

how is that possible. I can all most assure you even if cam doesn't throw a passing touchdown all season(unlikely) he'll account for more than 3 touchdowns.

So your okay with Netwon growing pains but heaven forbid Clausen has some growing pains in the worst offensive system in modern football history with no coaching help and he should definitely get thrown away.. makes no sense to me.

That's a lot to assume(incorrectly) from a post that didn't even mention Clausen.

But I guess I'll discuss that anyway.

Clausen doesn't stabilize the QB position at all, there needs to be a QB that can start and stabilize the team. A vet can do that, and a #1 pick can do it too. It gives the team direction.

It doesn't matter how anybody feels about Clausen the QB position is too unstable for there to not be legit competition. It's up to the coaches how they stabilize the position but Clausen alone won't be the answer.

I would actually prefer it if Clausen were to succeed because then we could draft a safer player.

I guarantee you if you see Newton play next year 3 games in you'll see the same if not worse results.

Did you see Newton play in college? If so you wouldn't be making a statement like that. Cam will need time to develop, but he'll instantly make us better than Clausen, with the threat of his legs alone.

Who gives a flaming rip about whether we have primetime games or not?

You want attention? Win games.

You want to win games? Get the best player available.

I don't think that's Newton.

I never got the disappointment in no primetime games, if we're good then we'll be flexed in anyway.

The best available player is what helps us win games.

I don't buy that that's Newton (or Gabbert or Mallett, for that matter).

Well then, I hope Patrick Peterson is good at throwing bc he is gonna be a busy man to play both sides of the ball considering our offense is about as inept as bringing a knife to an uzi fight. I keep hearing that statement over and over and over again with no real basis behind it. Please, just once... explain how drafting PP or MD is going to win games for us next year.

Archived