• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

I understand your agurment and how you and Mr.Scot feel.But its what ever the FO wants to do. Im going to be happy with whoever we pick.!

So will I.

If we take Newton, I'll be excited to see him play, to root for a young QB and see his development. I'll be eager to see him hit the field and I'll be hoping that I was wrong and all the "huggers" were right.

No he does not. This is a passing league, and Cam does not have the accuracy to even scratch the surface of Manning/Brady potential.

He hasnt even taken a snap in the NFL yet??? How the hell could you possibly say that and mean it??? you dont know could happen tom. let alone if Newton is going to be an accurate passer or not.

I understand your agurment and how you and Mr.Scot feel.But its what ever the FO wants to do. Im going to be happy with whoever we pick.!

I'm not necessarily going to be happy with whomever we pick, but I will support them.

(got a year's worth of experience supporting a high pick I didn't want in the 2010 season, so I'm practiced)

He hasnt even taken a snap in the NFL yet??? How the hell could you possibly say that and mean it??? you dont know could happen tom. let alone if Newton is going to be an accurate passer or not.

He can say that just as easily as the other guy can say he's the next Manning or Rivers.

It's all opinion.

I don't think that we should take Cam Newton, but, I can understand why management, as well as some fans, would want us to.

The guy is polarizing. He is a media lightning rod, whether it be for the good or bad (There is a very famous quote that goes something like, "any press is good press"). He represents something that we, as a franchise, have never experienced before.

He has the flash, the wow-factor, and frankly, he has "it". Does that mean that he will be a solid player in the NFL? I have no idea (and I would prefer if we found out from a distance, meaning another team drafting him). But, there is something that Cam will do immediately if we draft him. He will cause a stir. ESPN will turn their all-seeing sports eye towards us, and prime time will head our way. New fans will come to Carolina out of curiosity, and for a while, it will be good. Especially for the pockets of people like JR, Marty Hurney, the rest of the upper management.

Something like a Defensive Tackle doesn't attract that kind of attention. Something like a rookie Wide Receiver doesn't attract that kind of attention. It takes someone like Cam Newton.

Winning attracts attention.

And yes, although some don't believe it, we can win even without Cam Newton.

You're talking to a wall man.

The folks like Mr. Scot would rather we bring in a bench warmer, and have sub-.500 records for however many years, until we somehow bring in the next Peyton Manning or stumble across the next Tom Brady.

I'm starting to realize this... its eerily similar to trying to introduce my grandfather to a cell phone many many years ago and to watch him stare at it in disgust saying "we didnt need these in the old days"... well guess what... times are a changin around here, better get used to it before you fall down and start desperately wishing you had that fancy new cell phone old timer.

If we don't take Cam or Gabbert now, we're eventually going to have to find a guy that isn't a stop-gap fix. We're going to have to find someone who is a face of the franchise type of guy.

We ALL agree on that. The difference is that some of us aren't convinced that Cam is that guy. It doesn't mean we don't need that player, it's that we shouldn't try to take a guy if we aren't sure he is.

Archived