• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

In my opinion, there's also something to be said for Cam really wanting to be the number one pick and getting the most money of all the draft picks.

Fixed

Seriously, if you believe that Cam wants to play for us for any reason other than the fact that we have the #1 pick, then you are daft.

The bust rate of DT's taken #1 is higher than QB's. It's not a safe choice either. If you want safer QB should be your choice <3

It's not about the safe pick.

It's about the right pick. It's about the guy you think is the best player in the draft that fills a need you have. It's about not reaching for a guy with a huge transition you aren't sure of just because of the position he plays.

Actually, I've given several reasons, and options. And in response I get silliness like this :nonod:

But none of what was offered really fixes anything. All that does is leave us going "hopefully next year" while we watch the rest of our division play competitive football. And to Mav... I'm not saying Newton is the answer. But our position in this draft, our offensive stats from last year, etc.. all but basically forces our hand to take this kind of gamble, right freakin now.

Depends on what we trade down for. If we, for example, trade down to 5th, pick up a 2nd this year, a 1st in '12, 2nd in '12, and a 2nd & 3rd in '13 that would be a win.

Carolina trades down & gets 4-5 picks that turn in to really good players. Team has moderate success. Team that drafts Cam Newton now has the Lombardi Trophy & a superstar. Still look like a win?

Mallett and Gabbert are "potential superstars" too. So are Peterson and Dareus.

Guess if you don't want them, you must just be a coward :frown2:

None of those guys have the potential to take the reigns from Manning & Brady, Cam Newton does.

In my opinion, there's also something to be said for Cam really wanting to be a Panther

I think it says he's up for the challenge of becoming our guy and winning over our team. In the end I think he will, and I think a lot of us who are afraid of him right now, will be singing his praises in a few years. As critical as I am of us at times, I still feel this is a great place for a guy like Cam to be (not far from home, good people, an organization that knows it HAS TO GET BETTER, etc). I truly believe he plans to give us everything he has.

But none of what was offered really fixes anything. All that does is leave us going "hopefully next year" while we watch the rest of our division play competitive football.

In your opinion, which I disagree with (and that's a valid option).

None of those guys have the potential to take the reigns from Manning & Brady, Cam Newton does.

Also your opinion, and again I disagree.

I talked a bit about a plan in a different thread (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/59946-the-spirit-of-john-fox-lives-on-2.html#post3072748) but the general jist is:

1) If you aren't sold on Cam Newton, don't reach. Get a great DT, or hell, CB if you are sold on him. Now, if you're sold on Cam obviously you take him. But if they aren't, don't reach.

2) Bring a veteran in to camp in addition to Moore, Clausen, Pike. Do this regardless of if you draft Newton or not. We saw what happens when you go into a season with only one signal caller with any experience. Let's not do it again.

3) Reassess the QB situation next year, and see where we're at and what is available. If nothing else, continue building an amazing defense and searching for the QB that will take us where we need to be.

I understand your agurment and how you and Mr.Scot feel.But its what ever the FO wants to do. Im going to be happy with whoever we pick.!

I don't think that we should take Cam Newton, but, I can understand why management, as well as some fans, would want us to.

The guy is polarizing. He is a media lightning rod, whether it be for the good or bad (There is a very famous quote that goes something like, "any press is good press"). He represents something that we, as a franchise, have never experienced before.

He has the flash, the wow-factor, and frankly, he has "it". Does that mean that he will be a solid player in the NFL? I have no idea (and I would prefer if we found out from a distance, meaning another team drafting him). But, there is something that Cam will do immediately if we draft him. He will cause a stir. ESPN will turn their all-seeing sports eye towards us, and prime time will head our way. New fans will come to Carolina out of curiosity, and for a while, it will be good. Especially for the pockets of people like JR, Marty Hurney, the rest of the upper management.

Something like a Defensive Tackle doesn't attract that kind of attention. Something like a rookie Wide Receiver doesn't attract that kind of attention. It takes someone like Cam Newton.

No he does not. This is a passing league, and Cam does not have the accuracy to even scratch the surface of Manning/Brady potential.

Fixed

Seriously, if you believe that Cam wants to play for us for any reason other than the fact that we have the #1 pick, then you are daft.

Yeah, Eli Manning was jumping with joy at the thought of going #1 to San Diego. :rolleyes:

But none of what was offered really fixes anything. All that does is leave us going "hopefully next year" while we watch the rest of our division play competitive football. And to Mav... I'm not saying Newton is the answer. But our position in this draft, our offensive stats from last year, etc.. all but basically forces our hand to take this kind of gamble, right freakin now.

You're talking to a wall man.

The folks like Mr. Scot would rather we bring in a bench warmer, and have sub-.500 records for however many years, until we somehow bring in the next Peyton Manning or stumble across the next Tom Brady.

My preference would be trade. Best options being Carson Palmer or David Garrard.

What makes you believe Garrard is going to be available? Palmer is probably more likely, but Cincy can keep him if they are determined to do so.

There is a very, very good chance neither of these guys will be on the market.

And if we leave the draft without a QB, then all I can say is bring the vaseline when you go visit Jacksonville or Cincy to talk trade.

Archived