• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

Cam Newton is more on the potential side of a Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers. Not a David Carr or Jamarcus Russell.

In your opinion. I disagree (and I'm not the only one).

You're assuming that Cam Newton does get us into the playoffs year in and year out. Why?

If Cam Newton can do it, why can't a rookie we draft next year do it? Why can't a FA we pick up? Or a guy on the roster? Hell, at least the later two have played an NFL down...

Because if we don't get Newton, there will never ever be another good quarterback available again.

(apparently) :frown2:

Because if we don't get Newton, there will never ever be another good quarterback available again.

Why wait? There is a potential SUPERSTAR right there in front of you, & he's ours for the taking. Grow a sack or go to Denver & meet up with Fox.

Kurb has said my favorite line in regards to this thought process

So the only people who want to win are the ones who want to draft Newton...is that right?

I could just as easily attribute unwillingness to go with Clausen or Moore to "fear" if I wanted to go that route too.

Cam Newton has NFL SUPERSTAR potential.

Sure he may bust, but that goes for every single player in the draft. Nobody else has near the upside at developing into a franchise player.

If the Carolina Panthers bitch out & pass on Newton, by either drafting elsewhere or trading down, it will be a monumental failure; regardless of how Cam Newton pans out.

High risk comes with high reward. Cam Newton may bust or become a decent NFL QB. However, 2-3 years from now he may be a superstar & the top QB in the league. Deny that all you want, but you're only kidding yourself.

Carolina should be running to the podium on the 28th, period.

Depends on what we trade down for. If we, for example, trade down to 5th, pick up a 2nd this year, a 1st in '12, 2nd in '12, and a 2nd & 3rd in '13 that would be a win.

Why wait? There is a potential SUPERSTAR right there in front of you, & he's ours for the taking. Grow a sack or go to Denver & meet up with Fox.

Mallett and Gabbert are "potential superstars" too. So are Peterson and Dareus.

Guess if you don't want them, you must just be a coward :frown2:

^ now out of actual, thought out responses that hold weight you have turned to this. You sir, have lost this one. you have given absolutely no valid reasons nor plans for the future except for making it painfully clear you should not be in control of any football operations for anything. Including Madden.

I talked a bit about a plan in a different thread (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/59946-the-spirit-of-john-fox-lives-on-2.html#post3072748) but the general jist is:

1) If you aren't sold on Cam Newton, don't reach. Get a great DT, or hell, CB if you are sold on him. Now, if you're sold on Cam obviously you take him. But if they aren't, don't reach.

2) Bring a veteran in to camp in addition to Moore, Clausen, Pike. Do this regardless of if you draft Newton or not. We saw what happens when you go into a season with only one signal caller with any experience. Let's not do it again.

3) Reassess the QB situation next year, and see where we're at and what is available. If nothing else, continue building an amazing defense and searching for the QB that will take us where we need to be.

^ now out of actual, thought out responses that hold weight you have turned to this. You sir, have lost this one. you have given absolutely no valid reasons nor plans for the future except for making it painfully clear you should not be in control of any football operations for anything. Including Madden.

Actually, I've given several reasons, and options. And in response I get silliness like this :nonod:

I talked a bit about a plan in a different thread (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/59946-the-spirit-of-john-fox-lives-on-2.html#post3072748) but the general jist is:

1) If you aren't sold on Cam Newton, don't reach. Get a great DT, or hell, CB if you are sold on him. Now, if you're sold on Cam obviously you take him. But if they aren't, don't reach.

2) Bring a veteran in to camp in addition to Moore, Clausen, Pike. Do this regardless of if you draft Newton or not. We saw what happens when you go into a season with only one signal caller with any experience. Let's not do it again.

3) Re-asses the QB situation next year, and see where we're at and what is available. If nothing else, continue building an amazing defense and searching for the QB that will take us where we need to be.

Pretty much.

(might want to reassess your re-asses though Mav) :eek:

Archived