• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

Tarheels23

Just as ignorant as fans predicting and hoping we suck it up this year so we'll be in the running for Luck next year, and who's to say this guy won't pull a Locker.

You are right, it's probably not safe to assume a QB will be good based on one great year. Unless his name is Newton of course.

Again, we're allowed to go after quarterbacks via other methods.

My preference would be trade. Best options being Carson Palmer or David Garrard.

The free agent class if not as good. Only stopgaps, but I'd rather have that than a rookie getting thrown to the wolves.

Carson Palmer and David Garrard are both stop gaps as well. One is 31 and completely quitting on his team and the other is 33 years old.

Oh and Mr. Scot your path to greatness is to draft PP or Dareus. Please explain because you left me dumbfounded. Or are you really John Fox in disguise?

Best players available at positions of need.

I could live with Green (more so if Smitty wasn't back) but that's another spot where we need experience more than we need youth.

And again, QB via trade preferably. Free agency if it doesn't pan out.

Carson Palmer and David Garrard are both stop gaps as well. One is 31 and completely quitting on his team and the other is 33 years old.

Palmer's not "quitting". He just wants off the Bengals (wouldn't you?)

Both have either worked with guys on our staff (Garrard with Shula) or guys familiar with our system (Palmer's QB coach is the son of Norv Turner's mentor).

And two or three years gives us time to look at future drafts, one of which should have a better pool of QBs (next year's is expected to).

I could live with Green (more so if Smitty wasn't back) but that's another spot where we need experience more than we need youth.

None of your ideas have come close to explaining how that leads us to a superbowl. It also does not get us in the playoffs year in, year out. Cmon man! explain yourself! so far all you have offered up is a band-aid and barely above .500 seasons.

Quit beating around the bush and at least explain how that makes us better/Hope for the Future.

They have a draft next year too.

(and the year after that...and the year after that...and...)

Do you think we will have the #1 pick each time. Sorry but I hope we never have the #1 pick ever again. Or anywhere near number one for that matter.

You're assuming that Cam Newton does get us into the playoffs year in and year out. Why?

If Cam Newton can do it, why can't a rookie we draft next year do it? Why can't a FA we pick up? Or a guy on the roster? Hell, at least the later two have played an NFL down...

There was a time when nobody had as much upside or potential as Tim Couch, David Carr and Jamarcus Russell too.

They call it "risk" for a reason.

Cam Newton is more on the potential side of a Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers. Not a David Carr or Jamarcus Russell.

Quit beating around the bush and at least explain how that makes us better/Hope for the Future.

Do you think we will have the #1 pick each time. Sorry but I hope we never have the #1 pick ever again. Or anywhere near number one for that matter.

Already did. You guys can disagree if you want, but the explanation's there.

And do franchise QBs only come from #1 picks?

(you might wanna check recent drafts)

Again, we're allowed to go after quarterbacks via other methods.

My preference would be trade. Best options being Carson Palmer or David Garrard.

The free agent class if not as good. Only stopgaps, but I'd rather have that than a rookie getting thrown to the wolves.

We get none of those Quarterbacks Carson will be a Bengal and the Jaguars would be crazy to let garrard go.

You're assuming that Cam Newton does get us into the playoffs year in and year out. Why?

If Cam Newton can do it, why can't a rookie we draft next year do it? Why can't a FA we pick up? Or a guy on the roster? Hell, at least the later two have played an NFL down...

I'm assuming we have no idea what Cam Newton will do, just as no NFL team knows when picking a QB #1. I am saying that it is a POSSIBLITY that he does. Rookie we draft next year = crappy season this year. FA we pick up? did you not see that list of FA QB's???? A GUY ON THE ROSTER?!?!?! Yes, they did play a NFL down and did mind numbingly terrible at it.

Archived