• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chizik: Newton won't disappoint Panthers if they pick him No. 1

Tarheels23

Wait, you mean to tell me his college coach thinks he can play in the NFL? That is unheard of! Seriously, I've never heard a college coach ever publicly lobby for a guy they coached. Can you imagine if every coach ever did that? How would we ever know who to believe? Next you'll tell me that his dad thinks he is really good too, that would just be the icing on the cake. His dad's a preacher so you know he's going to tell the truth. Or wait, maybe his personal mentor will praise how good/mature he is. Or maybe his agent will say that he thinks that he should go #1. I wonder how his girlfriend feels about his chances?

Pretty much :lol:

His coach may or may not be right, but to accept his viewpoint as objective is rather naive.

Neither will Dareus, Peterson, or AJ Green....

Actually, any one of them could. So could Newton.

(or Gabbert, or Mallettt, or Fairley, or...)

You know, sometimes, you just can't measure 'want to'.

I think this guy 'wants to', in the worst way.

His ego will be either his best friend or his worst enemy, moreso than learning NFL jargon.

I've tried not to like Newton, but he has star quality in him, a presence. It's hard not to like that. I just can't see him being a failure. He may or may not reach great heights, that's up to him and his attitude about work; but, there is no question to me, that if he had that NFL jargon, if he gets the white board, he will be at least a good NFL QB and that's a helluva lot better than we have now.

Its depressing how bad this draft is. Its also depressing that in 2 years we are still going to be waiting on either Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton to turn into a pro QB while whoever has #1 next year will have a ready-made NFL starter in Andrew Luck.

I love how Newton has been a winner all of his career and I love how Gabbert seems to have the arm, the size, pretty much everything you'd want. But do either of them have a brain that is going to be able to comprehend the NFL game quickly? Cam Newton basically looked at Jon Gruden and said "I have no clue what you're talking about" when Gruden asked him to call a play from Auburn. That is at the very least a concern and at worst a huge red flag that says he is nowhere near a professional QB.

Gabbert on the otherhand looked like a slacker during his workout and Gruden didn't quiz him on the game like he did with Newton but who knows?? I heard he did well with the scheming in the meetings but that could just be rumor.

Archived