• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much help did Clausen get last year?

Hairless Cat

Jimmy seemed way ahead in the preseason than most Rookies. The problem was though he never progressed and didnt learn one thing... I would be higher on him if he even showed one flash but he didnt. Thats not coaching, thats a kid that just does not get it.

Matter of fact we didnt have a QB on the Roster last year that really understood the QB pos for that matter.

I said it then, and I say it now. Clausen was the right pick last year (yes, I am praising Hurney for something), and I still think that he can be an NFL starter.....but.

I was very worried about who was teaching Clausen the ropes on the field, and in the film room. There was not one person on Fox's staff that was known as a QB guru, or even a great offensive mind, and we certainly didn't have a vet to help him out.

IMO it all boils down to: He was put in the worst position possible in the NFL, and I think that he can do better. Think Drew Brees, and go back and look at his first couple of years as a Charger.

Quiet you! Clausen was meant to enter this shitstorm (rookie receivers, a banged up O-line, a playbook drawn out in crayons called by a moron, a QB coach that doesn't actually have any credentials) and take the team by the scruff of the neck!

Our last six games were at the Browns, where he lead a drive that put us up late, and got us back into FG position again for the win after the defense gave up a late FG, only to watch Kasay miss a 44 yarder, at Seattle (won NFC West), where he got to see the defense totally collapse on him,

against the Falcons (won NFC South), against the Cardinals, where he put up a 106 QB rating and won, at the Steelers (won AFC North), and at the Falcons (won NFC South).

If you didn't see any improvement in his game, you either weren't paying attention or you were assuming that we got to play the Bronco's for six weeks straight.

Jimmy seemed way ahead in the preseason than most Rookies. The problem was though he never progressed and didnt learn one thing... I would be higher on him if he even showed one flash but he didnt.

I had this same problem as well as few weeks after the season ended. During the preseason I saw him looking fearless at the line and trying to make pre-snap reads.

Then as the season wore on, it seemed like he just kind of mailed it in.

Definitely not the franchise QB the team was hoping for.

I still think he can turn out to be a serviceable starter. Like the rest of the fans though, I'm straight on serviceable. How about something better?

The close games that he almost won were in no thanks to him, but to the rest of the team for doing enough (as well as the other team for not doing enough until the end). I'm really hoping he ends up being something special, but ehhhh....

Go watch a St Louis Rams game from last season. They cut down their playbook drastically for Bradford. They barely even let him attempt a pass over 10 yards until near the end of the season. I'm not saying Clausen is anywhere near as far along as Bradford is, but every team cuts down the playbook for rookie QBs. Especially ones who didn't get a single first team snap in the offseason.

That's right. Fox and co. did exactly what they were supposed to do for the rookie. Not sure why some people were calling for "better' or "more complex" plays.

This isn't peewee football. Clausen is an elite college QB who was supposed to be NFL ready. Whatever play was called it was his job to know the play and execute it. I seriously doubt if you could sit Clausen down for a chat he would criticize the play calling.

Our last six games were at the Browns, where he lead a drive that put us up late, and got us back into FG position again for the win after the defense gave up a late FG, only to watch Kasay miss a 44 yarder, at Seattle (won NFC West), where he got to see the defense totally collapse on him,

against the Falcons (won NFC South), against the Cardinals, where he put up a 106 QB rating and won, at the Steelers (won AFC North), and at the Falcons (won NFC South).

If you didn't see any improvement in his game, you either weren't paying attention or you were assuming that we got to play the Bronco's for six weeks straight.

You are kind of picking your stats. He didn't progress much but he was slightly better at the end of the season. But his best game was New Orleans not Arizona.

He did look more stable and more quick footed by the end of the season.

Claussen wasn't given any help to succeed. Fox is a defensive coach.Poor coaching.

The team around Claussen was TERRIBLE. Give him some weapons and

he will succeed. Our smartest move would be to get a real killer at defense.

That could get sacks and force turnovers and make the plays that win games.

If worse comes to worse there WILL BE QB's coming out next year that are far

better then the weak QB class we are seeing this year.

Why do people insist that we need to pick a D personnel and our D was not good but okay: The Panthers actually fielded a playoff-caliber defense in 2010, at least according to the measures we use at ColdHardFootballFacts.com. They were No. 12, for example, in Defensive Passer Rating, our measure of each team's ability to stifle opposing quarterbacks. For some perspective, the 14-2 Patriots were No. 13 in Defensive Passer Rating. The 13-3 Falcons were No. 14 in Defensive Passer Rating.The Panthers were also No. 12 in what we call the Defensive Hog Index, a measure of each team's defensive front. And they were a top 10 unit in run defense, surrendering just 3.94 yards per attempt on the ground last year

I think if Clausen didnt " get" all there was to being a NFL qb this past season he has a much better shot at doing so this year - just like he did at ND. How many of you in the trades started out as a journeyman after a few months?

I hope he gets that shot -

I think if we pick a qb with our #1 pick it will be wasted with this years talent pool.

Archived