• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much help did Clausen get last year?

Hairless Cat

He was coached. A lot.

He could not handle "dynamic NFL" plays and they had to dumb it down for him.

And his O-Line was fine.

There were reports that the playbook had to be significantly trimmed when he took over the offense.

He was coached. A lot.

He could not handle "dynamic NFL" plays and they had to dumb it down for him.

And his O-Line was fine.

There were reports that the playbook had to be significantly trimmed when he took over the offense.

Just wondering where did you hear that? I remember in the season locker room "talk" where they reported Smitty etc saying things but I'm just wondering cause I never saw that anywhere.

Not a whole lot, I'd say. Horrific OC, lame duck HC that didn't even want him, #1 WR missed two games, had three rookie receivers moved up on the DC once Jarrett had to be cut, #1 back missed 10 games, #2 back was hobbled by ankle issues until around week 12, starting RT missed entire season, starting LG missed 6 games, didn't have a reliable TE as a safety net, thrust into starting role very early on, etc...

Kind of why I am not opposed to him getting another shot.

I like Clausen, I was excited that he was drafted and then equally unexcited that he had such a horrible year.

Yes, there were a bunch of things that didn't help Clausen at all, but at the same time I would have liked to see him motivate the team and give them a reason to win.

As far as being a leader of men and bringing them all together under one goal on the football field, Clausen just doesn't show it. That is why I really want Newton drafted, because he seems more likely to motivate and lead the offense.

Clausen had a shot, we should give him another one. But Newton needs to be in the background, learning and preparing in the event that Clausen can't bring it all together.

edit- And I have to mention Delhomme here, because he actually showed the enthusiasm and charisma that I don't see in Clausen, and what I see more in Newton.

Just wondering where did you hear that? I remember in the season locker room "talk" where they reported Smitty etc saying things but I'm just wondering cause I never saw that anywhere.

I saw it two places.

1) I watched his early games live and me and my buddy drinking miller lites saw the plays

2) Sports radio and other talking heads agreed with me at the time.

It was never reported in the mainstream media but it never would be.

But it was obvious.

Teams that give struggling QBs multiple chances to prove themselves are the ones drafting at the top of the draft usually..you can't just say he's your best bet and not try to improve that position..and no there aren't any vets out there that could really be an honest upgrade..most are past their prime or just not talented enough to be starters..some of em might get you a couple more wins but truthfully they will never get you were you want to go.

sorry to make you look foolish here, but he started how many games in the NFL last season?

He was and far as I know, still is an NFL quarterback.

No need to apologize for making me look foolish. I bring it on myself.

Perhaps I'm too figurative at times.

Go watch a St Louis Rams game from last season. They cut down their playbook drastically for Bradford. They barely even let him attempt a pass over 10 yards until near the end of the season. I'm not saying Clausen is anywhere near as far along as Bradford is, but every team cuts down the playbook for rookie QBs. Especially ones who didn't get a single first team snap in the offseason.

Archived