• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much help did Clausen get last year?

Hairless Cat

I said it then, and I say it now. Clausen was the right pick last year (yes, I am praising Hurney for something), and I still think that he can be an NFL starter.....but.

I was very worried about who was teaching Clausen the ropes on the field, and in the film room. There was not one person on Fox's staff that was known as a QB guru, or even a great offensive mind, and we certainly didn't have a vet to help him out.

IMO it all boils down to: He was put in the worst position possible in the NFL, and I think that he can do better. Think Drew Brees, and go back and look at his first couple of years as a Charger.

Claussen wasn't given any help to succeed. Fox is a defensive coach.Poor coaching.

The team around Claussen was TERRIBLE. Give him some weapons and

he will succeed. Our smartest move would be to get a real killer at defense.

That could get sacks and force turnovers and make the plays that win games.

If worse comes to worse there WILL BE QB's coming out next year that are far

better then the weak QB class we are seeing this year.

Sure the guy sucked. But honestly how much help did he get to work with what he has?

did he get dynamic innovative offensive game plans from a highly motivated head coach and coaching staff?

did he have a vet qb to guide him?

Did he have a solid in the peak of his career wr as a go to man or did he have a lost 2 steps fella with a massive chip on his shoulder?

Were the 2 and 3 wr s reliable and NFL proven?

did he have good starting running backs throughout the season to check down to or carry the load? Or did our starters get hurt early and often?

Was his offensive line all it could have been?

Did he have tight ends with great hands and route running abilities?

Seriously - how much of last years season can we blame on poor quarterbacking by Clausen? I say pick up AJ Green and lets try to get a decent vet qb as a starter or backup plan.

How about if he or Moore can win the QB spot if they outperform in camp and then he will be our QB? He isn't going anywhere. Funny how only Cam can win the QB spot in camp, apparently winning against nobody.

Who said that only Cam can win the starting job? Most of us are fine with Cam sitting for a while, if need be. In fact, I would have been fine with Luck sitting for a while if he had been the pick.

Claussen wasn't given any help to succeed. Fox is a defensive coach.Poor coaching.

The team around Claussen was TERRIBLE. Give him some weapons and

he will succeed. Our smartest move would be to get a real killer at defense.

That could get sacks and force turnovers and make the plays that win games.

If worse comes to worse there WILL BE QB's coming out next year that are far

better then the weak QB class we are seeing this year.

Who said that only Cam can win the starting job? Most of us are fine with Cam sitting for a while, if need be. In fact, I would have been fine with Luck sitting for a while if he had been the pick.

No body suggested it. When a thread is made if Cam should start, the most raw Qb to come into the NFL for a while, the agreed consensus is if he wins the job. Yet asked if Clausen should and most say hell no. Same with Moore, I personally think Clausen's ceiling is much higher than Moore's.

Sure the guy sucked. But honestly how much help did he get to work with what he has?

A team will not be all that inclined to "help" a QB the y don't like.

did he get dynamic innovative offensive game plans from a highly motivated head coach and coaching staff?

No but neither did any other Panthers QB in the Fox era

did he have a vet qb to guide him?

Nope, well unless you count that the guy has had professional QB coaches since he was 8.

Did he have a solid in the peak of his career wr as a go to man or did he have a lost 2 steps fella with a massive chip on his shoulder?

Not exactly but how the hell is Green gonna change that? Receivers can only shine if the ball gets to them. The games our receivers looked good where the games that Pickles didn't play.

Were the 2 and 3 wr s reliable and NFL proven?

Again Green is not a proven NFL WR. WR's bust all the time.

did he have good starting running backs throughout the season to check down to or carry the load? Or did our starters get hurt early and often?

Our #3 and #4 running backs are pretty good. Goodson is especially good catching out of the backfield.

Was his offensive line all it could have been?

If you notice an O line will almost always play like crap with poor leadership from the QB position. Remember when our O line suddenly looked terrible when Carr was under center.

Did he have tight ends with great hands and route running abilities?

We can only guess since Pickles absolutely can not pass over the D line to target the middle of the field. They looked pretty good with Matt and Jake.

Seriously - how much of last years season can we blame on poor quarterbacking by Clausen? I say pick up AJ Green and lets try to get a decent vet qb as a starter or backup plan.

I can not fathom how you came to the conclusion that a rookie WR is the answer to any of these questions.

besides the coaching problems, clausen has that glaring problem off dropping snaps and being unable to throw it over linemen..he isn't even a fit for a verticle passing offense. kinda hard to want to stay the course on a guy who was suppose to be pro ready but not the highest ceiling..really how much better can he get? sometimes you just need to see the writing on the wall and move forward.

how can anyone sleep well at night with the thought that clausen is our only hope for the future..he had plenty of games to show he could compete against NFL talent coaching or no, and he flunked miserably. the players certainly are not standing up for him so why should we?

not saying its an answer to any of the questions - but we do need to replace smitty in the very near future - I think we need help on offense more than defense so that is where Id be looking

I still dont think Clausen is a bust, so I wouldnt sink a bunch of money on a high qb pick that may very well be no better and may be worse than what we already have

If we suck this year, (it may not be that long a season anyway) - well probably wind up with a high pick again and will have a new crop and hopefully better crop of qb s to pick from

I reiterate - lets find a serviceable vet in the meantime

Hidden

Clausen is a good guy. A tough guy. A “try-hard” guy. But he’s absolutely the wrong guy to lead this Panther team in 2011

We must draft a quarterback, maybe Cam Newton or Ryan Mallett. And we should sign a veteran free-agent quarterback, too, as insurance or to possibly take the job for a year while the new rookie watches.

The Panthers just can’t start Clausen. You just can’t build a team or an offense around him. I’ve seen more than enough to say that now, with the evidence scattered all over the field in the Panthers 2010 season.

Even with all the excuses you can make for Clausen – and many are somewhat legitimate, including that he’s a rookie, his receiving corps is suspect and his offensive line is mediocre – he’s so consistently bad that it is more than that.

Clausen will simply never rise to the level of an elite NFL quarterback no matter what personnel you give him. He doesn’t make the right decisions quickly enough. His throwing windup is too long. Too many of his passes are batted down. And rather than stepping up in the pocket and firing, he too often scrambles wide right and flings it out of bounds.

At best, Clausen will turn into an adequate NFL starting quarterback, and that’s being optimistic. For now, he’s very inadequate.

Ideally, Clausen serves as backup for whatever quarterback comes next.

There are many stark numbers about Clausen and the 2-14 Panthers, but here are three of the starkest:

He’s 1-9 as an NFL starter.

His quarterback rating of 58.4

The natural comparison is to Chris Weinke, who started as a rookie in the Panthers’ 1-15 season of 2001 that got George Seifert fired and then barely played again.

Clausen looked shaken after this defeat – downcast and demoralized. Reality has set in for him, and reality bites.

It was just one more example of the fact that – like Weinke and like David Carr, the two former Panther quarterbacks Clausen reminds me most of – Clausen isn’t the right player to lead the Panthers anywhere.

Except to a No.1 draft pick

Archived