• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much help did Clausen get last year?

Hairless Cat

Sure the guy sucked. But honestly how much help did he get to work with what he has?

did he get dynamic innovative offensive game plans from a highly motivated head coach and coaching staff?

did he have a vet qb to guide him?

Did he have a solid in the peak of his career wr as a go to man or did he have a lost 2 steps fella with a massive chip on his shoulder?

Were the 2 and 3 wr s reliable and NFL proven?

did he have good starting running backs throughout the season to check down to or carry the load? Or did our starters get hurt early and often?

Was his offensive line all it could have been?

Did he have tight ends with great hands and route running abilities?

Seriously - how much of last years season can we blame on poor quarterbacking by Clausen? I say pick up AJ Green and lets try to get a decent vet qb as a starter or backup plan.

Not sure about Green. If we stick with Clausen, why is there need to get a new wr? He took the beating last year, trying to form some kind of chemistry with Gettis and LaFell, both of which looked great at certain points throughout the season. Why throw in a new Wr and force him to readjust all over again?

Sure the guy sucked. But honestly how much help did he get to work with what he has?

did he get dynamic innovative offensive game plans from a highly motivated head coach and coaching staff?

Did he have a solid in the peak of his career wr as a go to man or did he have a lost 2 steps fella with a massive chip on his shoulder?

did he have good starting running backs throughout the season to check down to or carry the load? Or did our starters get hurt early and often?

Seriously - how much of last years season can we blame on poor quarterbacking by Clausen? I say pick up AJ Green and lets try to get a decent vet qb as a starter or backup plan.

Jeesus.. Did he need someone to throw the ball for him too?

short answer: all of it

Long answer: While he was not thrown into the best situation last year, he showed absolutely ZERO progression as the year went on. I understand that things weren't all hunky dory in panther land last year, and he was a rookie thrown into a bad situation, i get that. What I don't get, is how through all that adversity, Clausen showed nothing that would lead me to believe that he could have a successful future in the NFL. There was no breakout game, there was no progression as the year went on. He looked just as bad his first start as he did his last.

That is why I think he is worthless. He showed no moxie, and no improvement. none. zilch. nada. he didn't show me that he could be a leader, he had the same pouty expression throughout the whole year, even when things went kind of well.

for the guy who was hyped up pre draft to be the most "nfl ready" QB available, he struggled a whole hell of a lot. I can understand struggling as a rookie, I can't understand how you don't improve as the year goes on.

Blame the coaching staff all you want, but his supporting cast was not the reason he fell flat on his face. Could it have been better, of course. 2 rookies starting is not ideal but both played pretty well as did whatever running back was in the backfield with him. The O-line also got better as the season went on. Jimmy was really bad and apparently not nearly as NFL ready as everyone said he was. Was a big reason for it the coaching staff and not Jimmy himself? Can't tell until we seem him in the new offense after some coaching.

I don't think Clausen was given the best coaching or put in the ideal situation to succeed. With that said he missed a whole lot of passes and consistently missed the open man. I went to two games this year and watched Smitty a whole lot to see how he was doing against jams and how much separation he was getting from the DB's..... one thing is for sure he was open a whole lot and hardly ever thrown to. While he may be getting up in age and not at his peak anymore he's still a dominant receiver.

He was a rookie in a tough situation no argument I'll give you that. Problem with saying pass on a first round QB and get our current QB some help is he showed NOTHING. No improvement what so ever as a rookie like say Freeman did late in his rook year. With that I don't think we can continue to pass on first round talent at QB. Only to sit an pray our average ass QB's can improve enough so we can compete year in and year out.

Long answer: While he was not thrown into the best situation last year, he showed absolutely ZERO progression as the year went on. I understand that things weren't all hunky dory in panther land last year, and he was a rookie thrown into a bad situation, i get that. What I don't get, is how through all that adversity, Clausen showed nothing that would lead me to believe that he could have a successful future in the NFL. There was no breakout game, there was no progression as the year went on. He looked just as bad his first start as he did his last.

for the guy who was hyped up pre draft to be the most "nfl ready" QB available, he struggled a whole hell of a lot. I can understand struggling as a rookie, I can't understand how you don't improve as the year goes on.

:iagree: This more than anything concerns the fans and should concern our FO to a degree as well. Our inept offensive playcalling notwithstanding, you can also argue that our offense was so basic that Clausen should have some at least some improvement by season's end, if he was as "nfl ready" as the so-called experts proclaimed. I realize the deck was stacked against him, but it's hard to argue with your valid points.

i don't care what excuse you throw out there...he just wasn't good at even one aspect of playing QB last year...his pocket presence was awful...his throwing mechanics were worse than i thought they would be...his arm strength was suspect...there were times where he was trying to throw the ball away and couldn't even get it out of bounds...there were plays to be made and he just flat out couldn't make them...he didn't show any progression through 10 starts...how is that even possible...i don't think his teammates believe in him at all...beason has openly endorsed newton...williams has said we need to improve our QB situation...and you know smitty doesn't care for him

So many factors to such an abysmal season. Poor coaching the biggest.

But i still cant say with a straight face that Clausen WILL be a good qb. Not after watching HIS overall performance.

Who was the starter for the St. Louis game where we opened it with a miserable failure of a flea flicker, Moore? Haha, classic Fox/Davidson football.

Still willing to see what he can do with a Coaching staff that wants and knows they will be here. Davidson was by far the worse OC evah in the history of history. Maybe he won't get better, but until somebody is going to work with him on an NFL level, we will never know.

Archived