• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do you brush your teeth?

Zcustom

Shall I impart some wisdom?

Yeah, I will.

Tip #1: Floss and brush after every meal. Lil' secret....cavities are like any other disease process, they require certain elements to start, continue, and arrive at symptoms. cavities require a tooth, a substrate to exist on (food/plaque), and time. I wouldn't advise getting rid of the tooth, and you can't do much about time. So the only thing you can control is the food/plaque. So brush. And floss. After every meal. It takes 2 minutes, that is 6 minutes or so every day. Done properly, you can save yourself a ton of PAIN and a SHITLOAD of money.

Tip #2- Buy a sonicare or an Oral B Braun toothbrush. Why? Because you suck at brushing. You either do it wrong, not long enough, too hard, or are stupid enough to use anything other than a oft bristle brush. These new fangled gadgets do it FOR you. You can't do it too hard or too short with them nowadays.

Tip #3- When you are done brushing after every meal, spit all you want, but don't rinse. If you rinse, you have now eliminated the topical action of the fluoride on the surfaces of your teeth. Remeber as a kid when you got that fluoride treatment and they told you not to eat or drink for 30 minutes? Yeah, same idea. It takes some getting used tt, but it is the proper method if you want something other than window dressing mintyness from your paste. Think of it like putting on lotion and then washing it off.

Tip#4- If something bleeds after brushing or flossing, that is NOT A SIGN TO NOT DO IT. Quite the oppo. Think of it like a bad road rash. You don't wanna clean it. But you damn well better. You will notice after a few days, the bleeding will stop with PROPER hygiene.

Tip #4- See a damn dentist 2x/year. More frequently if you have periodontal issues. Find one educated in this century too. Prevention.

If people followed these concepts, and a few others I could ramble on about all day, dentists would be driving domestic and golfing a lot less.

But they don't, so I'm always here to shuck out the mistakes of a misspent youth.

epi, how do you feel about the fluoridated mouthwashes for after brushing?

Belt and suspenders.

If it is the last thing you do before hitting the sack, again after brushing and flossing, it is a nice adjunct.

Very good for kids, not a biggie for our demographic, becomes important again in the elderly.

Archived