• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top-picking Panthers looking at several prospects to fill holes

JawnyBlaze

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ee4736/article/toppicking-panthers-looking-at-several-prospects-to-fill-holes?module=HP_headlines

Carolina's most glaring needs are at quarterback, wide receiver, tight end, both lines and in the secondary. Not that there's a particular strength on the roster, either.

Wow. So apparently our whole team is a glaring need....with no positions of strength either...

In my as-unbiased-as-possible opinion, our only GLARING need is QB and DT. Sure we have other needs obviously, but when we send two O-linemen to the Pro Bowl, from a team that gets as little attention as ours does, I wouldn't say offensive line is a glaring need.

We have two young WRs that showed promise, no one can really argue that point, and an aging superstar who, even if you're being as critical as possible, is in the top half of WR1s in the league. WR is not a glaring need....

CB is a bit of a need IF Marshall doesn't return. If he does, no need. If he doesn't, minor need. Safety-no need. A Pro Bowler and a good and still improving Martin.

TE? Is TE ever a glaring need for a team? And even so, we've got an aging star TE and two young guys with promise. Even if you give no credit at all to Rosario or Barnidge, having Shockey says it's not a glaring need. Sure, we should address it sooner rather than later, but far from glaring.

DE is not a need. Soon-to-be-superstar in CJ (or if you want to be pessimistic and media-style ignorant about it, a solid starter) and youth + talent in Hardy.

And our RB and LB corps aren't positions of strength at all....nope, we should really be looking at taking some RBs and LBs in this draft too...gotta plug them holes. If we lose every possible free agent in our LB corps, then there's a minor need. I don't see that happening though.

I agree the article was a little exaggerated about our "glaring needs", but your rebuttal underneath is based off of young unproven players with "promise" (Lafell, Gettis, Barnbridge, Rosario) and "talent" (G. Hardy). I agree that they all appear to have bright futures ahead of them, but from an outsiders perspective of our team, all of these talented young players are assumed to be less than average until they pay their dues or prove otherwise.

You can't fault the media for not predicting breakout seasons for all of our young guys WE think will be good.

Hey did you guys know we don't have any RB's or LB's?

Insightful article

Well, they could be right. If we don't resign Deangelo, Davis, Anderson, and Connor then Beason, Stewart, and Goodson get hurt and we also don't sign or draft anybody, we could be really super thin at those positions. We should trade the first overall pick for Jamaal Charles.

I agree the article was a little exaggerated about our "glaring needs", but your rebuttal underneath is based off of young unproven players with "promise" (Lafell, Gettis, Barnbridge, Rosario) and "talent" (G. Hardy). I agree that they all appear to have bright futures ahead of them, but from an outsiders perspective of our team, all of these talented young players are assumed to be less than average until they pay their dues or prove otherwise.

You can't fault the media for not predicting breakout seasons for all of our young guys WE think will be good.

Yeah, I mean on offense no individual on our team had an above average year, and maybe only one guy had an average year (Stewart). On defense, Beason, Anderson, and Johnson were good, but I would assume most teams have at least 3 good players on defense. No one else was good enough or healthy enough to elicit outside attention.

But, most importantly, the team was terrible. Absolutely awful last season. There were reasons, but I'm not going to get all angry at people that don't exclusively follow this team for not seeing the promise or upside that I see.

Archived