• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Office versus The Office

TerriblePizza

Which version of the Office do you prefer? The US or the UK version? I've had this discussion a few times with some of my friends here in Spain (Not all of them Spanish, some from Ireland and Finland and Germany) and they insist the UK version is better.

Now, being a huge fan of both, I must disagree with them. While the UK version does have some very funny moments and Gervais makes a great boss, I feel overall the actors in the US version are much better.

That being said, many of the funniest lines in the American version are improvised during shooting by the American actors, namely Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson. I don't know how this makes the American one better, but, they're pretty damn funny.

Anyways, I forgot where I was going with this, so, in conclusion US > UK in my opinion.

I tried watching the UK version on Netflix...Maybe I just dont get UK humor.

Yes, UK humor is quite odd lol. I remember the first season or so of the US Office I wasn't a big fan because you could tell the humor still wasn't really for a US audience.

Whats funny about the UK one is when it first came out every one thought it was a real documentary. I was over there when it was on and people would talk about how much they hated the boss. I like the UK one better casue i saw that one first but the US one is really funny.

Unless you've lived or worked extensively with Brits, the US version is going to be funnier most likely. A lot of the humor of the UK version is universal, but you lose quite a bit not being familiar with British attitudes and phrases.

But the correct answer is Spaced.

Overall the US version is better because they've been able to develop their characters over 4 seasons.

The British version has hilarious episodes, but it really takes a while to get used to the strong British accents and Brit-centric humor. David Brent is a hilarious character, especially as the show gets closer to the finale. His management speak is priceless.

The American version does a better job with the supporting cast. The Jim and Pam side plot (up until recently when it became incredibly annoying and cheesy) was much better than the British office love story. Dwight Schrute is much better than his British counterpart.

They've both very good, but the American version is better as an overall sitcom.

Unless you've lived or worked extensively with Brits, the US version is going to be funnier most likely. A lot of the humor of the UK version is universal, but you lose quite a bit not being familiar with British attitudes and phrases.

But the correct answer is Spaced.

Spaced was awesome. Huge Simon Pegg fan. New episodes of Top Gear(catered to car enthusiasts) are also hilarious.

Basically the initial seasons of US Office were based off the UK version.. so if you found those funny then you should be saying UK. Having said that, I liked the UK version for the most part, they certainly didn't hold back.. I also noticed that after season 3ish for US office (pretty much where UK office ended), there was a significant drop off in humor consistency. Like some episodes are hilarious now.. but others are just.. eh..

Like Seasons 1-3 were loaded with Jim vs Dwight pranks, now they've pretty much disappeared for the most part. You probably see them like once every couple episodes.

• 1 month later...

Archived