• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallet Wonderlic

TheRealDeal

Common sense. :out:

I know they will look at other stuff that is important but you basically said they would also disregard the Wonderlic, which I don't think they'll do. I think they will look at everything.

I was just wondering if you had seen something or heard something or whatever from their past to indicate this.

I'm not always trying to be a dick to you, only when you deserve it.

My point is that if anyone (let's say Cam) scores a 15 on his wonderlic score but then in the interview process nails everything and proves he has big time football smarts. They likely would not care one bit if he scored a 15.

Honestly what's the difference between discounting it and not putting much stock into it?

You said disregard not discount. That would mean they would put no stock into whatsoever. I said they wouldn't completely discount it but wouldn't put much stock into it in relation to what they learn in an interview process which will be more important.

You said disregard not discount. That would mean they would put no stock into whatsoever. I said they wouldn't completely discount it but wouldn't put much stock into it in relation to what they learn in an interview process which will be more important.

Got it. I feel the wonderlics don't matter much unless they are surprising.

Mallet scoring a 26 or whatever is surprising to most because the perception of him that is out there. Likewise if Cam scored a high number or an extemely low number it would be surprising.

Other than that, I don't think they matter that much either.

Wonderlics help to break perceptions and reinforce existing ones. Mallett is not as dumb as rocks, Gabbert is apparently smart (as smart as Mcelroy! gasp)... but all that means is what people thought about Mallett was not true but what they thought about Gabbert was.

I had heart Mallett did very well on the white board anyway and did impress in some team interviews (same thing I heard about Gabbert) so I am not surprised he had a decent Wonderlic.

The exact score on it doesn't matter to me, but I like to see the range players fall into.

In my opinion, the QBs I think are worth drafting at all are in this order:

1. Jake Locker (Kid has heart and incredible talent to be molded)

2. Christian Ponder (Smart and efficient QB. Think Chad Pennington with a stronger arm)

3. Cam Newton (Based PURELY on potential. Attitude is concerning as well as some fundamental aspects)

4. Ryan Mallett (Best pure passer in the draft. Cracks under pressure and has an ego similar to Rapelisberger)

5. Andy Dalton (Smart, calm and collected. Won't carry a team but won't bury one single handedly either. A career backup at worst)

I'll go on record and say I don't like Blaine Gabbert. I've watched film on him and he will NOT stand tall in the pocket and let a play develop from the shotgun and I think he would panic and dump off to a checkdown more often than Clausen did if he is under center. The only chance this kid has to make it as a starter is if Indy or NE picks him and lets him sit for 3-4 years like Rodgers did. Because like Rodgers he is raw in the utmost sense and may never actually be a franchise guy even if he does get that privilege.

Archived