• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about college WR prospects

JawnyBlaze

How would you guys rate Alshon Jeffrey this year against AJ Green last year in terms of potential NFL prospects? Assuming we don't get Green this year (that dream of mine is on life support) we'll need 1 more WR sooner rather than later and FA WRs rarely work out. Few WRs thrive outside of the team that drafted them, by my memory (few exceptions - Moss in NE, TO in Philly/Dallas). So if we're picking in the 5-15 range next year (another assumption: we don't trade away next year's 1st) and we DON'T need a QB (yet another big assumption) and have to trade up to get one of the top 2 or 3, right now does Alshon Jeffrey seem like he'll be next year what Green or even Jones are this year?

Jeffery has a big rump and thunder thighs, makes him hard to bring down and helps him absorb contact. He's a jump ball kind of guy, but that's not to say he can't take off in a straight line. He looks like he's not moving that fast, but he's actually hauling ass, it's just that he has long strides. He's really fast for a guy of his large size, but I wouldn't compare him to Green. They don't move the same when running routes. Green is like a porche, and Jeffery is like a mustang.

I'm not asking about Jake Locker or any QBs. QBs rise and fall all the time. Other positions, not as much. Last year everyone knew Green and Jones were studs. They proved it further this year. I'm asking if anyone knows more about Jeffrey than me, more than just a few highlights and hearing his name mentioned among good receivers next year.

I kind of compare Jeffery to Brandon Marshall in that he is GREAT after the catch and can break a lot of tackles. This is not to say he can't make catches down field. This season I've seen him make a catch more than once 15+ yards down the field that made you say "How the fug did he do that?"

Jeffery will most likely be the first or second WR off the board next year if he comes out.

Cool, that's the kinda info I'm looking for. So what you're saying is that he's not that polished of a route runner yet? Hopefully that's something he can work on this coming year.

Jeffery has a big rump and thunder thighs, makes him hard to bring down and helps him absorb contact. He's a jump ball kind of guy, but that's not to say he can't take off in a straight line. He looks like he's not moving that fast, but he's actually hauling ass, it's just that he has long strides. He's really fast for a guy of his large size, but I wouldn't compare him to Green. They don't move the same when running routes. Green is like a porche, and Jeffery is like a mustang.

Archived