• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Router problem???

sunbunny

So all this time, I'm thinking my laptop is messed up. My son got his school issued laptop today, and that one won't connect to the internet, either. He's tried unplugging and letting it reset itself, but it doesn't help. Do I just need to buy another router? We have a linksys wireless something.

What operating systems are you using?

Is your laptop seeing the router? Generally it will show up as something generic like "Linksys" or if your cable provider set it up, they may have named it according to your home phone. If it doesn't see it, find out what the name of your router is (ie "StevesRouter" or "8034569873") and go to Control Panel > Network Settings > Wireless Tab > Add Network ID and type it in manually.

If you can see your router in your wireless settings, check to make sure your router is encrypted. Generally routers use either WPA or WEP encryption. If it is encrypted, make sure you entered the current security key.

Figure out what kind of wireless card you have on the laptops, it would be 802.11B, 802.11G or 802.11N. Then check to see what frequency the router is sending on. For example, your laptop might be running B while your router is running G and not auto setting itself.

Finally, make sure that your computers are set up to automatically assign a TCP/IP address. Go to Control Panel > Network Settings and check the properties on the TCP/IP settings.

Let me know!

We have the same brand router and had the same problem. Wife called their helpdesk and although most of the time you speak to someone in India they were quite helpful. Turns out our cordless phones in the house were operating on the same frequency as our router and it kept knocking it offline. There were other problems with it that they fixed also though.

Whenever that happened, doing what Maximus said did work.

Ok, Tyler here. So far everything is working as it should. The school laptop has an internet connection and I will test out the other laptop as soon as I get around to doing it. I'll tell my mom to come back here and post if any other problems occur.

Thanks guys for the help.

Glad its working, but if the other one doesn't, might want to see if its getting an ip from the router. Sometimes mine has trouble when I move it from work to home and back.

To test it, go to start, then run, type "cmd" in the pop up, and hit ok. It will bring up a dos prompt. Then type ipconfig, hit enter, and it should give you the ip address (probably 192.168.x.x). If it doesn't, then type ipconfig /renew and hit enter and it should pick up an ip if it is connecting to the router.

We have the same brand router and had the same problem. Wife called their helpdesk and although most of the time you speak to someone in India they were quite helpful. Turns out our cordless phones in the house were operating on the same frequency as our router and it kept knocking it offline. There were other problems with it that they fixed also though.

Whenever that happened, doing what Maximus said did work.

Microwaves do that too. It used to suck when I had to decide if I really want something microwavable to eat while playing an online game.. Gladly don't have that problem anymore.

Archived