• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PS3 Question

Panthericulous

ok... im totally new to this new generation gaming... bought a PS3, and now everytime i turn it on, it resets my wireless router, then when the internet kicks back on (normally by itself), i can browse the internet on the PS but i cannot connect to play online... is this me being dumb and not setting something up right, or maybe is there something wrong with the system or my internet....

please help...:(

Actually, he would have $300 in a 60GB Xbox360 + $90 for the wireless adapter + $60 for another controller. So, it breaks about even really. I'm an Xbox360 user myself, btw...just saying.

Anyway, I would say the first thing you should do is update the firmware on your router. Do that by going to the manufacturers website and following the instructions there. For instance, here is how you would install a firmware update for a Linksys router: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4272&p_created=1162537128

Also, it may be the router itself. Depending on how old it is, it may just be getting pissy in general with the PS3. If the firmware update for the router doesn't work, make sure your PS3 has the latest updates as well.

If you are still experiencing this problem, it would most likely be your router at fault. I would find a router designed specifically for Playstation and Xbox consoles. I have this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8548841&st=dlink&lp=4&type=product&cp=2&id=1188561003287) and it is amazing. It works well with PS and Live and automatically optimizes your connection. My download speeds can hit up to 800 kb/s with it.

Also, are you trying to set up your PC to run as a media server for the PS?

Actually, he would have $300 in a 60GB Xbox360 + $90 for the wireless adapter + $60 for another controller. So, it breaks about even really. I'm an Xbox360 user myself, btw...just saying.

Anyway, I would say the first thing you should do is update the firmware on your router. Do that by going to the manufacturers website and following the instructions there. For instance, here is how you would install a firmware update for a Linksys router: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4272&p_created=1162537128

Also, it may be the router itself. Depending on how old it is, it may just be getting pissy in general with the PS3. If the firmware update for the router doesn't work, make sure your PS3 has the latest updates as well.

If you are still experiencing this problem, it would most likely be your router at fault. I would find a router designed specifically for Playstation and Xbox consoles. I have this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8548841&st=dlink&lp=4&type=product&cp=2&id=1188561003287) and it is amazing. It works well with PS and Live and automatically optimizes your connection. My download speeds can hit up to 800 kb/s with it.

Also, are you trying to set up your PC to run as a media server for the PS?

wow... first off thanks for the response...

ill give the firmware update a try, hopefully thats it, cuz i dont want to have to buy a new router, but if it gets the most out of the system ill have to...

second, i cant even get my updates for the PS3 or any of the games... everytime i try, it says an error occurred during download... the more i search myself, im thinking it is the router, i bought it about 2 years ago just for my computers...

as for the last thing about the media server... yea thats way out of my league! lol

and i love the ps3 and toyed with the 360, but i convinced my wife to let me get this bc it had the blue ray.... also i had just heard some horrible things about the life of the 360 from some friends....

The XBox did have a failure rate of about 33% with the old chips. However, I've had my 360 since August 2007 and I've never had a single problem with it. Most of the time, those failures are because people don't treat their equipment properly (ie, not ventilating the unit, smoking near it, etc).

I bought a PS3 when they first came out and then sold it on Ebay so I could go to Germany that summer. I wasn't overly impressed with it. I did, however, used to be a Playstation diehard. I still remember getting the PS1 for $400 for Christmas the year it came out...and the PS2 will probably still go down in history as one of the greatest next gen consoles ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, let me know if any of that stuff I posted helps you!!

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of buying a PS3. The reason for this is because I heard that the Xbox 360 has gone about as far as it is going to go, tech wise. The PS3 has more to offer with their up coming games and technology. I think that buying a PS3 won't mean that I'll have to buy another console for a long time. Xbox owners might have to upgrade in a few years.

I'm thinking of buying a PS3. The reason for this is because I heard that the Xbox 360 has gone about as far as it is going to go, tech wise. The PS3 has more to offer with their up coming games and technology. I think that buying a PS3 won't mean that I'll have to buy another console for a long time. Xbox owners might have to upgrade in a few years.

Both of them are 10 year consoles so xbox owners will have to update a year earlier than ps3 owners which means Microsoft will again corner the next gen market and keep squeezing sony out a little bit at a time and no the 360 hasn't gone as far as it can go.

That whole NATAL thing has a good bit to do with me thinking that...

I have a PS3 and I love it. Microsoft has more exclusives and a better online service(but your paying for it). PS3 does have some real good exclusives and is a blu-ray player as well. All the console manufatures are already developing the next consoles.

I have a PS3 and I love it. Microsoft has more exclusives and a better online service(but your paying for it). PS3 does have some real good exclusives and is a blu-ray player as well. All the console manufatures are already developing the next consoles.

Why would they be developing new consoles? Technology really hasn't changed since 2006. The 360 still keeps up graphically with the PS3. NATAL and the PS3 motion controller tell me both companies will be sticking with this gen for at least the near future

Archived