• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Billick is a hater too

TheRealDeal

Actually, Ozzie Newsome is the guy who picked all the Ravens QBs.

For the record, Newsome is widely considered to be one of the best personnel men in the business.

(goes to show just how difficult a position that is to evaluate)

You aren't implying that Billick had no input are you?

You aren't implying that Newsome would have picked someone that Billick didn't care for...?

I remember quite clearly how infatuated Billick was with Boller. He absolutely, positively, loved Boller. I'm sure there are past news articles supporting such. I remember the interviews quite well.

Billick's success in the super bowl goes to show that sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. The 'offensive' genus lived off the defense.

It's hard to win a superbowl, it's hard to pick a franchise QB, its hard ot have successful draft picks. Sometimes luck is certainly part of the equation, but, one thing is certain, as they say in Vegas, 'you don't play, you don't win'.

Brian billick on Kyle Boller:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/26/banks_burningquestions/

Kyle Boller has size, intelligence, huge arm strength, great personal charisma and great character," Billick said. "He's very intelligent and yet he's just scratching the surface of how far he can go."

The article also talks about how many QBs Billick went through before he went for Boiler.

Not many teams think they are drafting an NFL-ready QB. Much of their success depends on coaching and the player making the transition before his services are needed. I personally think many QBs bust because they usually go to bad teams (Good teams usually have good qbs and bad teams don't) and have to play before their transition is complete.

Personally, I believe a lot of QB's end up being busts because of this idiotic mentality that they absolutely have to start right away. To hell with that...everybody learns at a different pace, and coaches, owners, GM's and fans shouldn't feel pressured to put a kid out there before he's ready just because he's a big investment. You make that big investment because you want it to pay off for the next 10-15 years.

And BTW, this is why it makes a lot of sense for Dallas to be interested in Cam Newton. Romo is 31 yrs old, so he only has so much time left, meanwhile they could be grooming his replacement without putting too much pressure on him...just like Green Bay did with Rodgers.

Archived