• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Empire Total War

natty

Looking at the Total War forums - you DO have to have Steam to authenticate and launch the game. And it seems some people are having problems installing from the discs(but I think it's because they don't understand it still needs to be launched from Steam).

I just bought it from Steam because I already play other games through Steam and I was going to download it while I was at work. But I totally forgot this morning - being out of work Monday has thrown my whole week off....

This game rocks!

- You can't play as America because it starts out in 1700, but there is a special game mode Road to Independence which also doubles as a campaign tutorial. It was cool to see "A new town has emerged - Charlotte", having played total war for almost 10 years that was a cool thing to see.

- Technology, region building/management, diplomacy, agents, etc have ALL changed.

- You build schools to research technology - needed to upgrade most buildings - it's split in 3 different ways(can't remember exactly but it's like Military, Agriculture and Philosophy), then each is broken down further. It seems technology is a crucial part of the campaign mode. They take a long time to research(assuming only 1 school), you can trade technologies and they heavily affect your income or fighting ability

- Regions are no longer just a capitol. You have your main capitol for each region, but farms/trading posts/smaller towns/ports are all separate. So instead of, for example building farmland from your capitol, you'll have a separate "building" on the map that represents you farm and you can upgrade it. This means you can build a lot quicker than in previous games because you can upgrade lots of stuff at once(i.e. you can upgrade your farm at the same time upgrading your port).

- Agents no longer have any effect on diplomacy, you can open negotiations with any nation at any time(no more lugging you diplomat 1/2 across the world taking 20 turns). Nations are a lot more strict with diplomacy, trade rights/alliance/military access are a lot more difficult to get.

Ok i've spewed out enough.

I only have a couple gripes about the game, first being the loading times. Now I know the graphics are great and that usually comes with long loading times, but I often find myself auto-resolving battles just because I don't want to wait through 2 loading screens. Second is lack of troop variety, although it does make sense for the time period. Nearly every faction has line infantry, horse regiments and some sort of light infantry/skirmishers. The only difference between armies is usually some special kind of calvary (that's equal to or worse than the regular horse regiments) or some special kind of infantry.

Archived