• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Have you ever had to make a choice...

TheRealDeal

The thing I'm considering is a chance to compete again. I'll always be a competitor and I will always want to compete. There is no better feeling in the world than that.

Honestly, it mostly depends on how easily you feel you can get in yet another direction if it does not work out. Do you feel you can get into another career field easily, or even back into the one you are leaving?

Not sure if this is going to keep anyone from encouraging me to do it but it will significantly reduce my huddle time, possibly to zero. I'm usually only on the huddle in my office and new career does not come with offices.

Nevermind, go for it. :)

I also just realized that my original post sounds like a halftime speech of a cheesy high school football movie

Maybe... ;)

All the time. I'm a dreamer, I have come up with all kinds of goals/schemes in the past. The problem is just starting up and where to start small, because everything takes money.

This isn't a scheme. I've been competing in a sport part time professionally and the opportunity to take it to the next level has come up but it would require more of my time and more of a commitment.

I'm not starting a business or inventing anything.

better to have tried and it not work than to never ever know. my only real giant regret is not finishing playing soccer in high school. im pretty sure i would have gotten a scholarship but..i will never know.

i have some dreams im pursuing as best i can

if it's a dream, you are unstoppable in your pursuit. if it's a hobby, you will be asking a bunch of schlubs on a football message board....

It's good to get different perspectives. Just because it's a dream doesn't mean you give up everything and go for it. Sure, in the movies you do and it all works out but in real life you have things to consider, like income, health, shelter, etc.

It was my dream since I was little to play in the NFL, like many others but I'm 6' and white, it's just not in the cards. Sure I could hire personal trainers and speed coaches and a nutritionist and everything else to be unstoppable in my pursuit but at some point it becomes dumb to pursue.

I just wanted to get some feedback if anyone has done it before and what their thoughts were.

It's good to get different perspectives. Just because it's a dream doesn't mean you give up everything and go for it. Sure, in the movies you do and it all works out but in real life you have things to consider, like income, health, shelter, etc.

It was my dream since I was little to play in the NFL, like many others but I'm 6' and white, it's just not in the cards. Sure I could hire personal trainers and speed coaches and a nutritionist and everything else to be unstoppable in my pursuit but at some point it becomes dumb to pursue.

I just wanted to get some feedback if anyone has done it before and what their thoughts were.

I'm with you.

What would you be risking? Job? Money? relationships?

Lord hates a coward....and there's more to life than money!

Fricken do it, and if it backfires, you might take a little step backwards to get back to where you are today, but what the hell. You live once, so if you can live as happy as possible, then why the hell not!

I went from living very well, then I was damn near bankrupt, then I was living better than ever before, then I got divorced and damn near bankrupt, and now I'm living even better than I ever imagined I could and am on cloud 9. We humans have a great ability to deal with bumps in the road!!!

DO IT!

To me it totally depends on

1) can you get your old job back?

2) can your family deal with the lack of benefits and your not being around for them, because as far as I'm concerned, they are #1 and should take a back seat to "dreams".

3)Set a time frame on this goal. If you are wallowing around "in the minors" for 5+ years, you are wasting your time. I don't care about the damn dream.

I like risk.....as long as the reward is tangible and verifiable.

tough spot to be in. two years ago i was working at american express making killer money, benefits, being groomed for a management spot... living the american dream, really. but i was absolutely miserable, the corporate world absolutely destroyed my soul...

so against all odds and against the wishes and well-meaning advice of my family and friends, i quit the job, sold most of my possessions, and bought a one-way ticket to australia. i spent the next half a year wandering around autralia, asia, and the south pacific exploring and writing and reading and thinking and learning.

everything that i have today i have because i made that decision. i didn't want to be 40 years old and look back with regret at having made the safe choice. i wanted to be able to tell tales of something more than cubicles and growing old.

my advice would be simply to not let fear hold you back. good luck.

Archived