• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Have you ever had to make a choice...

TheRealDeal

between following one of your dreams and playing it safe?

Taking a chance at everything you've wanted and worked for or keeping everything you have now?

One shot at greatness vs looking back and wondering what could have been?

Taking that shot has a high chance of failure and you have to leave everything you have behind, steady job, my fiance (travel), friends, etc or you can keep what you're doing now and always wonder?

I know it seems easy to say take that shot but what would you do? Would you go after it?

Thanks

IM in that boat. Im at the safe job right now. What is making it easier is that since the economy is such shiit my job isnt as safe as it used to be. I have so many regrets in my life and I dont want this to be another one.

Im not at the point where it would be risking my family but on the contrary, I have a wife that is actually more prone to leave me if I stick to what IM doing now being miserable.

Sounds exciting, TRD.

I think everybody comes to that fork in the road at one time or another. I have multiple times.

I don't know all the details of your situation but one thing I have learned in my many, oh so many years on this planet is that when I look back, the only regrets I have are the things I didn't do.

But then I look at the things I did do and my beautiful little (albiet pain in the butt) results and it all goes away.

Good luck, my friend and any decision you make will be the right one. :thumbsup:

Sounds exciting, TRD.

I think everybody comes to that fork in the road at one time or another. I have multiple times.

I don't know all the details of your situation but one thing I have learned in my many, oh so many years on this planet is that when I look back, the only regrets I have are the things I didn't do.

But then I look at the things I did do and my beautiful little (albiet pain in the butt) results and it all goes away.

Good luck, my friend and any decision you make will be the right one. :thumbsup:

Here's my situation. I have been an athlete my whole life in one form or another. When I wasn't playing sports I was still involved, being a GA and so on. I decided to give it up and go to work a normal job. I now work a 9-5 corporate job in finance for a growing company that is awesome. Casual work environment, great coworkers, tons of growth potential, decent pay, close to my house, my fiance's uncle is CFO so I'll always have someone looking out for me, etc. On the other hand I have a chance to turn a hobby/second profession in sports to my career. Problem is unless you are at the top the pay is terrible, the hours suck, travel is required, no one is there to help you out but it's doing something sports wise and allows me to compete.

That help out any?

Risk vs reward. I took on a huge amount of debt (for me at the time anyway) to jump into a career I didn't know if I would suceed at. 11 years and 6 figures later, I am glad I took the risk. I didn't think I was going to be a good father cuz mine was never there, but I brought home the rookie dad of the year aware for 2010. Don't sacrifice your dreams, you will regret whoever you did it for later in life

Here's my situation. I have been an athlete my whole life in one form or another. When I wasn't playing sports I was still involved, being a GA and so on. I decided to give it up and go to work a normal job. I now work a 9-5 corporate job in finance for a growing company that is awesome. Casual work environment, great coworkers, tons of growth potential, decent pay, close to my house, my fiance's uncle is CFO so I'll always have someone looking out for me, etc. On the other hand I have a chance to turn a hobby/second profession in sports to my career. Problem is unless you are at the top the pay is terrible, the hours suck, travel is required, no one is there to help you out but it's doing something sports wise and allows me to compete.

That help out any?

Fug it, chase your dream. Also, you fiance's dad being the CFO may be a negative one day. Don't want to say your marriage won't work before you even get married, but stats don't like and that could be a negative somewhere down the road.

Fug it, chase your dream. Also, you fiance's dad being the CFO may be a negative one day. Don't want to say your marriage won't work before you even get married, but stats don't like and that could be a negative somewhere down the road.

It's her uncle and we were friends before I knew her. No chance we don't work out. Those stats are also skewed by people who have already been divorced at least once. I appreciate the well wishes though :cool:

What you takin in skool?

im honestly only getting my bachelors degree because I will need it in the career change im looking into. I went to college after highschool but pretty much flunked out. I want to be an airline pilot and so im getting my bachelors degree for accounting so if things dont work out in the flight industry I have something to fall back on. Lots of debt im going to take on but my wife sees how miserable I am at what im doing. She basically gave me an ultimatum, get to work or im leaving u. lol

I did a research paper for my senior econ class on the airline industry and the outlook isn't so bright unfortunately. Wages have been flat since the 80's and if you take into account inflation, real purchasing power for those employees has been on the decline for years. I like to fly myself and actually considered it once, but I don't want to travel all the time and the industry is just such and up and down one. Good luck though, I like to see people chasing what they really want.

Archived