• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

new TV advice?

cptx

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing, even though it doesn't include physical damage, which I'm most afraid of. I can just see one of the dogs racing by it and knocking it over or something.

tether it to the wall.....easy enough to do with brick and won't really damage the wall to the point it would be noticeable unless someone does a really detailed inspection.

I am looking at buying HDMI cords. The guy at HH Gregg said that his cords ($94 for 6ft) are best for HD Tv. He said that HDMI cables vary, some show true 1080 and others dont.

Is this true? Or his he just trying to sell me his over priced cables?

I have been looking at Costco's 6ft. section ($30)

HHGregg is commission so he's likely just trying to upsell you. I sold TV's for a while, but always heard that the higher end HDMI cables made little, if any difference at all. Don't even buy from Costco. Buy from firefold.com. They are located near Concord Mills and you can go in and pick one up from their store in person. You can get a 3ft for about 4 dollars and a 6 foot for not much more. Cables are marked way up. There is very little mark up in televisions themselves so they make up for it by selling accessories that are marked way up. I got paid 1% on televisions, 9% on accessories.

I am looking at buying HDMI cords. The guy at HH Gregg said that his cords ($94 for 6ft) are best for HD Tv. He said that HDMI cables vary, some show true 1080 and others dont.

Is this true? Or his he just trying to sell me his over priced cables?

I have been looking at Costco's 6ft. section ($30)

Unless that Costco cable is dropping ones and zeroes, you're wasting a lot of money on the $94 cable. As long as the cable is rated for 1080p frequencies, you should be good to go....don't remember what TV you have, but if it's not 1080p, then this doesn't even apply (unless you expect to buy a 1080p set soon).

Personally, I've bought monoprice cables (and a hdmi splitter so I can run my DirectTV signal to the little LCD I have in the kitchen). Both work great.

Monoprice 6 footer, hdmi 1.3a cat 2 < $10 (w/o shipping)

HHGregg is commission so he's likely just trying to upsell you. I sold TV's for a while, but always heard that the higher end HDMI cables made little, if any difference at all. Don't even buy from Costco. Buy from firefold.com. They are located near Concord Mills and you can go in and pick one up from their store in person. You can get a 3ft for about 4 dollars and a 6 foot for not much more. Cables are marked way up. There is very little mark up in televisions themselves so they make up for it by selling accessories that are marked way up. I got paid 1% on televisions, 9% on accessories.

Thanks for the link to firefold..I am mounting my TV to the wall (actually paying to have it done) and plan on getting my wires and a mount from them now. With all the different varieties, what should I look for in a wall mount? All I want is a decent mount for a 46" Samsung for my wall. May want it to tilt down slightly but there are so many to chose from in the list in the link attached. Help!

http://www.firefold.com/LCD-and-Plasma-Mounts-C114.aspx

Thanks for the link to firefold..I am mounting my TV to the wall (actually paying to have it done) and plan on getting my wires and a mount from them now. With all the different varieties, what should I look for in a wall mount? All I want is a decent mount for a 46" Samsung for my wall. May want it to tilt down slightly but there are so many to chose from in the list in the link attached. Help!

If you're buying from firefold, then just pick the one for 46" & up TVs. Just make sure it's load capacity exceeds the weight of your TV plus the wall mount. I think the mount I have in my bedroom tilts but I don't remember setting it to tilt down.

Your TV really should be mounted to match your sightline from where you'll be sitting. Center of the TV should meet your eye line. If you can't possibly mount it like that, then you should definitely look into the tilting type....especially if it's a LCD.

The wallmount for my TV in the living room is a Peerless and the one in the bedroom is from PDR.

Archived