• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pep in the pro bowl

dpanthersman

Instead of a game, they should have things that are the equivalent of the NBA dunking contest. Or how about this...the first quarter is AFC West vs. NFC West, the second quarter is AFC South vs. NFC South...

As it is, this game is boring as sh*t every year because most teams only have two, three guys tops on the team.

Or maybe, just a flag football game on the beach...

*random thoughts*

Bruce Smith talking about his sack record and that he did it in a 3-4. He sounded surprised!

Collinsworth saying he has never heard a DE wanting to play in a 3-4.

This has to be about Trgo.

Pep had nothing to say, cuz his agent wasn't in his ear.

*random thoughts*

Bruce Smith talking about his sack record and that he did it in a 3-4. He sounded surprised!

This has to be about Trgo.

Pep had nothing to say, cuz his agent wasn't in his ear.

But someone had wrote (Gantt IIRC) that Pep was actually friends with Trgo and that Trgo wasn't his problem at all. Which also suggested how much power Fox has over the defense.

I honestly think Pep feels like he should be a hall-of-fame type player and is blaming others for his not making it to that level. Blame Fox or Trgovac or whomever you wish, but they're not the ones taking plays off and getting shut down by second string tackles.

He's going to go somewhere else, play well, and still never achieve true greatness. And it won't be anyone's fault but his own.

I honestly think Pep feels like he should be a hall-of-fame type player and is blaming others for his not making it to that level. Blame Fox or Trgovac or whomever you wish, but they're not the ones taking plays off and getting shut down by second string tackles.

He's going to go somewhere else, play well, and still never achieve true greatness. And it won't be anyone's fault but his own.

agreed, pep has no one to blame but himself

I thought the Bills were a 4-3 team when Smith played?

I think Collinsworth is assuming Pep wants to be a 3-4 DE when he likely wants to be a weakside OLB in the 3-4 because in the 3-4, the OLBs are the pass rushers, and the weakside one is more of a "pure" pass rushing spot. I don't know that Pep could be a FT DE in a 3-4. But that was one hell of an awkward interview and really drives it home that he just doesn't want to be a Panther. That makes me far sadder than if he simply wanted to leave for the $$.

Bottom line is that he just turned 29 this year. He will make 12-13 million per year no matter where he goes and willl want a 30 million signing bonus for a total 6 year contract for 80 -90 million. He may be someone who can play until he is 35 or he may last 2 or 3 years max. We paid him 14 million last year and will have to spend 17 million this year. 17 million is far in excess of any other DE in the league by a lot.

We have had a good run with him and he needs to move on and so do we. We can both part ways and move on. Honestly I doubt he gets better from here and may fall away after one year to "prove" himself next year.

I wouldn't want him back at 17 million and he needs to see what he is worth as a 3-4 linebacker. Our defense was not significantly worse last year when Peppers wasn't even a factor. We can and will do fine without him. We have now lost every starter on the D line from the 2003 team when Peppers leaves.

It is inevitable that you end up replacing guys who are getting older and wanting a huge payday with younger much cheaper guys. It is Peppers turn. I thought he would be for his career but it looks unlikely. So be it.

Archived