• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Parents Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not.....

fitty76

Oh damn! I never though about that!!!

My brother named gave his son a first and middle name that are surnames from the family.

That's beat up.

Yeah, my sister and I are both named from the family (Mom wanted to be unique but also stay in the family)

Its only annoying when people are fuging stupid and don't understand it. I like having a unique name. Normally the reaction is, o, that's your first name? that's a beautiful name. So, I don't really mind it. My sister actually has it way worse off than I do.

In the end, I like the fact that I know about only 2 or 3 people in the world who share my first name. Hated it when I was younger because I was always the odd one out, but now that Im older, I have learned to appreciate it.

My son goes by his middle name. He's never complained; he knows his first name came from my dad. My husband goes by his middle name, and my dad went by his and had a jr tag.

Ty actually has a first name, two middle names, and a last name. He understands the reason and seems fine with it.

I'm in the four name club. Go by first, or first middle. Second middle is for ancestor who owned all of the current families estate in 1800's. Only time it matters is licenses and such have name limits sometimes.

make your child's primary name their middle name. It is the biggest pain in the ass ever. My parents did that to me. I have to clarify all the time that my name is actually my middle name. Don't do that to your child. He (mostly he) will hate you when he becomes an adult.

+1. That was rule #1 when my wife were working on names. My entire life I have dealt w/ that pointless mess of correcting people.

I'm in the four name club. Go by first, or first middle. Second middle is for ancestor who owned all of the current families estate in 1800's. Only time it matters is licenses and such have name limits sometimes.

On his license and ss card, he has all four names listed. Other than his birth certificate, I think that's it.

My oldest son is named after me (the II) so he goes by his middle name. Good thing his first and middle initial coincide so he won't have any trouble with email accounts, but it does suck getting his teachers to call him by the right name the first few weeks of school. No pity on us, b/c we figured a few things like this would arise before we named him. My wife goes by her middle name and not her first, so we knew the problems that would arise.

I always thought it would be cool to go by my middle name in all actuality.

I can tell you right now in the corporate world it is a huge pain in the ass. Because the HR people don't care who you are and they just use your first name with everything. Then you have to call them, multiple times, to get them to change everything.

Archived