• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Live report- Smith lobbies Boldin to Car.

Dirtyphill411

...whos going to throw the freakin ball to him? Last thing we need is another WR who doesnt get the ball.

Most of Boldin's catches were short over the middle with great YAC. Jake would love to have to have another guy who could stretch the field. I think a new quarterback coach will help Jake with his reads and seeing the field better. It isn't like Moose didn't get a lot of catches. Moose had almost a 1000 yards himself. Imagine Boldin catching all those balls with his speed. And Moose and Jarrett as the 3rd and 4th receiver. It won't happen but we can dream anyway.

FWIW, Peppers already spends a lot of time in Phoenix, I wouldn't be surprised if Peppers hasn't inquired through his agent about going there. You don't imagine that getting rid of the DC to go to a 3-4 had anything to do with sweetening the pot for Peppers. I am only kidding, of course.:nono:

Lucas, Wahle, Sean Gilbert, Reggie White, Eric Swann. Didn't say it worked out but we did trade for them.

Pretty sure those were all free agent signings. Gilbert was a franchise signing but wasn't truly a trade.

Big name trades don't happen often in the NFL in general, but they do happen (Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis, for example).

There is part of me that wonders if Smith will actually confirm this story.

It wouldn't be the first time an athlete shot his mouth off about something that didn't really happen.

(granted, it's usually agents pulling stunts like that rather than players themselves)

Pretty sure those were all free agent signings. Gilbert was a franchise signing but wasn't truly a trade.

Big name trades don't happen often in the NFL in general, but they do happen (Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis, for example).

True. I was thinking about situations when we spent big time money to pick up a player. In Gilbert's case though we gave up 2 1st round draft picks for him so it was very much like a trade in effect. As for Boldin, if we traded for him for a guy like Peppers and actually picked up another pick, it would be a trade but we would come out on the positive side of the deal. And it might solve disgruntled player issues on both sides. I doubt it would ever happen but it does fill up the long off-season with idle speculation.

I would love to see smitty and quan together, but the fact remains, you don't pay a second receiver that type of money when you are going to run the ball a minimum of 65% of the time. That is the Fox philosophy.:rolleyes:

The thing that sucks with this is that we went 12-5. Thus, being a run first team works. But imagine if we could get Q! I've talked about it on here before, but as it is right now, our roster is not set up to mimick the Steelers defense. Even more so once Pep leaves. The draft needs to be about making our D better, no doubt...but if Fox would just bend his arrogance a tad and realize that we can be an offensive juggernaut, I think we could see the same record. Teams are going to prepare a LOT better for Double Trouble this season. It just makes sense we do something, anything, to open Smitty up more to keep them guessing. I don't give a rat's ass if Moose almost had 1000 yards last year. He drops balls, is slowing down, and just is losing it. Q can block too, Q is younger, Q can catch better and is faster. Need I go on? I know affording him is beyond hard, and I know he wants to be a number one...but having a Double Trouble WR set and RB set would be simply a nightmare for an opposing D coord.

We have to face the facts, while we are GREAT at runnig the damn ball...we are not great at defense...so why don't we improve it the best we can in the draft and THEN make our STRENGTH even better! Right now, the Carolina Panthers' strength is their offense. The dream scenario of Q/Smith and Williams/Stewart would carry us far...though that whole Jake as the QB issue makes my thread fall flat. :(:P

Why is everyone getting a hard-on over this extremely unlikely possibility? First of all, our offense is damn near unstoppable the way it is right now. We have a good shot at being the #1 rushing team in the league next year. Pair that with the most explosive receiver in the game, Steve Smith, and we're set on offense.

Here's why we won't get Anquan Boldin:

-He won't WANT to come here. He obviously wants to be a number 1 WR, and has had issues with the ARI coaching staff because he feels he is being under utilized. Well, if he came here he would be utilized even less. I guarantee you this guy has no interest in being "the next muhsin muhammed." Boldin wants to be "the guy" and won't settle for filling a secondary role in a run-heavy offense.

-Defense needs all the help it can get. Maybe pick up a solid FA and a draft pick or two to help bolster the offense, but other than that we need to focus almost all of this offseason on the defense. We can't afford to pay Boldin when we need to pick up some solid defensive talent. Besides, using our big trade piece, Peppers, to acquire Boldin would be a terrible decision. We have a gaping hole on the defense, and no glaring weaknesses on the offense (except maybe at QB), so that trade would just be illogical.

-Boldin would be a massive waste of talent here. I love Jake and I will support him to the very end, but he won't be able to get Boldin the ball enough to maximize the man's abilities.

-Moose isn't dead yet. No he's not a huge play threat, but the man is a boon for our running game, he's reliable and he comes through when we need him to. He almost had 1000 yards. He's got AT LEAST one more good year left in him. By the time he's gone I firmly believe that Jarrett and Carter will be ready to step into bigger roles for us.

Lose a playoff game due in part to lack of defensive line talent - Carolinahuddle screams for defensive line talent

Possibly acquire a WR Jake Delhomme won't throw to: fug DEFENSIVE LINE TALENT WE NEED TO ADD TO OUR WR CORPS BLARRRRRRRRRGHH

Archived