• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

As promised

TheRealDeal

That's weird that it didn't happen this year.

Depending on what average means to you I don't think you could find a case of this. On the other hand, Eagles for example had the #3 offense and number 21 defense (too below average?) and didn't advance in the playoffs. I can't find one team with a great offense and average defense that is as effective as a great defense and average offense. For example, the Steelers, Jets, Ravens and Bears all had great defenses and offenses that ranked 12,13,16,21 and were in the final 8 teams left.

Great defense and average offense is the way to go, sorry. (Packers sit at #10 on offense so just sitting at good)

how many 32nd ranked offenses were in the playoffs in the last ten years?

From football outsiders

Both Pittsburgh and GB are top 10

this is a more in depth statistical analysis, it's also what i use to dissuade people from thinking our defense was worse than it actually is to begin with

on defensive rankings it shows GB and Pitt at 1 and 2. Both great offenses, both great defenses, which means they're more balanced than this stupid thread would lead you to believe

From salty's thread

7 of the 8 top defensive teams in the NFL were still playing last weekend in the divisional round (only the Saints were not)

Only 2 of the top 8 offensive teams in the NFL were still playing last weekend.

Both stats are PPG

Food for thought.

Once again ... I believe you was looking at the stats without changing it to regular season.

Here is the 8 Defenses Rank (in yards) of the regular season:

2. Pittsburgh 276.8

3. NY Jets 291.5

5. Green Bay 309.1

9. Chicago 314.3

10. Baltimore 318.9

16. Atlanta 332.4

25. New England 366.5

27. Seattle 368.6

1. Pittsburgh 232

2. Green Bay 240

3. Baltimore 270

4. Chicago 286

5. Atlanta 288

6. NY Jets 304

8. New England 313

25. Seattle 407

Both stats are PPG

Food for thought.

Once again ... I believe you was looking at the stats without changing it to regular season.

Here is the 8 Defenses Rank (in yards) of the regular season:

See what we have here is a reading comprehension fail.

Stat stands.

Also, who cares how many yards you can accumulate or give up. It only matters how many points you score and how many you give up.

From football outsiders

Both Pittsburgh and GB are top 10

this is a more in depth statistical analysis, it's also what i use to dissuade people from thinking our defense was worse than it actually is to begin with

on defensive rankings it shows GB and Pitt at 1 and 2. Both great offenses, both great defenses, which means they're more balanced than this stupid thread would lead you to believe

All it does is weight later games heavier than early games. If the argument was teams that give up later in the season (Colts) then sure you can use those. With the stats I have, the point still stands.

Edit: That also doesn't measure PPG but efficiency, which wasn't in the argument. You can bring up a new point if you want but don't try and use that to disprove the original point.

I never said don't improve the offense, I said with a slight improvement on offense (getting rid of the Jimmay) we would be in the playoffs, assuming a top defense, which we are closer to.

You can try and twist it any way you want.

I never said don't improve the offense, I said with a slight improvement on offense (getting rid of the Jimmay) we would be in the playoffs, assuming a top defense, which we are closer to.

so you made that conclusion mostly based on PPG

wow we're gonna need some defense to allow around the neighborhood of 200 points in a season or less with marginal offensive improvement

so you made that conclusion mostly based on PPG

wow we're gonna need some defense to allow around the neighborhood of 200 points in a season or less with marginal offensive improvement

Yes. No matter how many "advanced statistics" you want to put up, the game come downs to how many points you give up and how many you score.

7 of the 8 defenses were playing.

2 of the 8 offenses were playing.

Edit: That also doesn't measure PPG but efficiency, which wasn't in the argument. You can bring up a new point if you want but don't try and use that to disprove the original point.

field position helps influence PPG buster

you help win the FP game by playing efficient offense, see, this gives the opposing offense more yards to have to cover in order to score. Which goes back to offensive yards gained. The two stats are not mutually exclusive

since I know a bunch of you are gonna look at nfl.com and just see the regular season numbers and dispute it, PPG with playoffs, top 8:

1 New England Patriots 17 539 31.70588235

2 San Diego Chargers 16 441 27.5625

3 Philadelphia Eagles 17 455 26.76470588

4 Indianapolis Colts 17 451 26.52941176

5 Oakland Raiders 16 410 25.625

6 Atlanta Falcons 17 435 25.58823529

7 New Orleans Saints 17 420 24.70588235

9 Dallas Cowboys 16 394 24.625

9 New York Giants 16 394 24.625

so there you go.

point differential from the regular season is cool... 6 of the top 7 in point differential were in the playoffs in the AFC (lol Chargers) and top 5 in the NFC were in the playoffs. Packers were #1 in the NFC point differential and the Steelers were #2 in the AFC.

That's weird that it didn't happen this year.

Depending on what average means to you I don't think you could find a case of this. On the other hand, Eagles for example had the #3 offense and number 21 defense (too below average?) and didn't advance in the playoffs. I can't find one team with a great offense and average defense that is as effective as a great defense and average offense. For example, the Steelers, Jets, Ravens and Bears all had great defenses and offenses that ranked 12,13,16,21 and were in the final 8 teams left.

Great defense and average offense is the way to go, sorry. (Packers sit at #10 on offense so just sitting at good)

I meant more in hypothetical philosophical situations. There are benefits to whatever system a team wants to run. The Checks and balances always even out.

It's about execution. Stats don't mean anything, especially if it's PPG. Points per game is a team stat it's not reflective of how each unit is performing own it's own. I'm sure their is a general trend but not enough for PPG to be reliable. I think yards per play is a far better measure.

I understand what influences a game and it's outcome but this was just "Food for thought" as the OP mentions. Those stats don't exactly help your case because if those two teams are the most efficient, shouldn't they give up the least amount of points? Unless you want to go into ST and offensive play.

It's just a simple stat for a simple point. You think offense is more important so you are trying to find holes in it. It's pretty simple.

It's about execution. Stats don't mean anything, especially if it's PPG. Points per game is a team stat it's not reflective of how each unit is performing own it's own. I'm sure their is a general trend but not enough for PPG to be reliable. I think yards per play is a far better measure.

Do you have any info to back this up? I don't think there is any real correlation because there are plenty examples each way. Texans, Eagles, Chargers, Bears are all over the place in terms of offense and defense.

I'd just like to see why you think that, unless it's hypothetical again.

even with that offensive efficiency stuff, only 2 of the top 8 "weighted" O's were playing last weekend (NE, Pitt) whereas 5 of the top 5 "weighted" D's were still playing last weekend (All but NE, which was 11th)...

so even with these advanced stats...?

edit: lol, I didn't even notice. Once I sorted it properly, the top 5 on defense were ALL still playing, NE was the only team outside of the top 5 playing. :D

Archived