• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

what's a good price for a used xbox 360?

hepcat

So few months ago my xbox 360 saw the red rings of death...and I think I'm about ready to go ahead and replace it. All I need is the console...nothing else (chords/adapters or controllers). I'm in the price range of $100. Think that's enough to be able to get a decent Xbox 360 console?

Don't tell them that. My xbox was 2 years old when I got the RROD. I just called them up, explained the situation, and they told me to send it in. Tell them you don't have the receipt. I'm almost positive you can get it fixed...as long as you didn't mod it or anything like that. Just be persistent if they try to tell you anything different...which I doubt they will.

Don't tell them that. My xbox was 2 years old when I got the RROD. I just called them up, explained the situation, and they told me to send it in. Tell them you don't have the receipt. I'm almost positive you can get it fixed...as long as you didn't mod it or anything like that. Just be persistent if they try to tell you anything different...which I doubt they will.

Just might be crazy enough to work. I'll give them a call and see.

Just might be crazy enough to work. I'll give them a call and see.

Beats having to buy a new one. I don't think it should matter whether you bought it used or not (but DON'T tell them you bought it used)...the defect that causes the RROD is THEIR fault. As long as the case hasn't been opened you shouldn't have a problem getting it fixed.

Post back what they say.

If nothing else, look around on Craigslist for Xbox Repair. The RROD is caused by overheating of the chipset causing the solder joints to come undone. The repair guy basically reseats the chip and solders it with better material and voila. Your xbox is fixed. My sister had it done. For $100, she got a new 60GB Harddrive installed and her RROD fixed.

If nothing else, look around on Craigslist for Xbox Repair. The RROD is caused by overheating of the chipset causing the solder joints to come undone. The repair guy basically reseats the chip and solders it with better material and voila. Your xbox is fixed. My sister had it done. For $100, she got a new 60GB Harddrive installed and her RROD fixed.

Most of the time it's not even that complicated. There's RROD fix's on ebay. Usually you just need to replace thermal paste, fix heat sinks etc and reset the system via overheating it. The kit is like 15 bucks on there. Has detailed instructions.

Hey thanks for all the good advice. I called up Microsoft today and after pestering me about all sorts of irrelavent crap I finally got them to mail me a box to get it repaired. Honestly I don't know if they are going to bill me. They have my credit card info from Xbox Live am I correct?

Hey thanks for all the good advice. I called up Microsoft today and after pestering me about all sorts of irrelavent crap I finally got them to mail me a box to get it repaired. Honestly I don't know if they are going to bill me. They have my credit card info from Xbox Live am I correct?

Yea they have your info from xbox live, unless you use the subscription cards. As for charging you with that info, Nope.

They would've asked for your cc info over the phone. As long as the system is under 3 years old, you've got nothing to be worried about. That's the warranty on the RROD.

Even though the WII is crap and only has about 5 games worth owning it's the one thing I like about their repair service.

Call them up, they send you a brand new system and a box to ship yours back, they just get your CC info at the beginning of the call.

According to their own terms of service, they couldn't. At no time can someone run your credit card without your express permission. This includes a signature and/or providing your CVV2 code. Even with those, the operator would've had to say something like "Microsoft Corp will charge your Visa $200 now. Is this okay?"

So, no worries there!

Okay so after waiting over a week now for them to send me the box, I guess Microsoft is BS. Called them again and the customer service rep HUNG UP ON ME. I'm done with them. So I don't plan on cracking it open myself...I'd probably break it even more. So I'm back to either buying a new console...or finding a repair shop in Asheville.

Okay so after waiting over a week now for them to send me the box, I guess Microsoft is BS. Called them again and the customer service rep HUNG UP ON ME. I'm done with them. So I don't plan on cracking it open myself...I'd probably break it even more. So I'm back to either buying a new console...or finding a repair shop in Asheville.

Just call them back, sometimes they get lost in the mail it seems, they'll send another, it gets to you quick.

Archived