• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton TD

TheRealDeal

I'm not trying to be a dick but those plays are nothing alike. Brees doesn't roll, the TE doesn't drag across the field against the flow of the play, and he throws it into the middle of the field.

lol, so you are claiming a WR slant is more closely related to two plays that have TE fades? Whatever man... you just keep thinking you're right.

Your reading comprehension must struggle a little as well. I never said he can't make reads, I simply stated in the other thread that he plays in a one read spread offense, which is something GMs and Owners should be concerned about picking him #1 overall.

It also has nothing to do with vision but that's a whole different topic.

Now you're just changing your tune because most of the fan-base here see's through your BS.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2893277&postcount=293

He is in a one read pass offense, if it's not there, he's told to take off. In the NFL that doesn't work. Vick is so successful this year because running is his last option. Big Ben is successful because he moves around in the pocket and keeps plays alive but doesn't run. That will be a HUGE adjustment for Cam.

What you're saying here, is that he doesn't make reads, throws ONLY as the play is designed, or can't find open receivers, and just runs if he can't complete to the designed player.

Well, buddy, he DOES make plays to open receivers. He CAN run so he does that a lot too. But he's not a "one read" QB.

Look, this conversation's getting old. I mean if you want to go around and around, that's fine. You think you're right, that's fine too. And as far as "belittleing" goes, you're the one that started that with the claim I've got no football knowledge at all.

Here's a whole host of highlights where he is making reads all over the place.

http://whosright.com/poll/cameron-cam-newton-heisman-highlights

It's easy to agree with you TRD, because it is pretty clear to see it's a play designed for the TE.

However I will play devils advocate and say that, by your own admission, since his only options are throw to the TE or Run, then this isn't a good example to prove he's a one read QB.

After all, that's probably what he was going to do. Either throw to the TE, who had a high probability of being open, or run,.....and if that TE wasn't available it's also possible that's when he may have made additional reads as the play unfolded and if not, just throw the ball away or take a small run gain.

To prove your point, you will need to find multiple videos of plays designed with multiple targets in mind, and where Cam automatically throws to the first read that's open, in the mean time missing bigger, more open targets for bigger gains. THAT's when you can actually say...he's a one read QB.

Having said all that, I do NOT want this guy or any other QB in that draft with our first pick.

It's easy to agree with you TRD, because it is pretty clear to see it's a play designed for the TE.

However I will play devils advocate and say that, by your own admission, since his only options are throw to the TE or Run, then this isn't a good example to prove he's a one read QB.

After all, that's probably what he was going to do. Either throw to the TE, who had a high probability of being open, or run,.....and if that TE wasn't available it's also possible that's when he may have made additional reads as the play unfolded and if not, just throw the ball away or take a small run gain.

To prove your point, you will need to find multiple videos of plays designed with multiple targets in mind, and where Cam automatically throws to the first read that's open, in the mean time missing bigger, more open targets for bigger gains. THAT's when you can actually say...he's a one read QB.

Having said all that, I do NOT want this guy or any other QB in that draft with our first pick.

I never said he can't make more than one read. I just said he plays in a one read offense. That's not his fault. His college coach doesn't care if he develops into an NFL QB. He knows that if he runs the ball it's just as good for him as if he passes it, all he cares about is the W. He's not in the business of developing NFL players, he's in the business of winning games.

The original discussion was reasons why Cam shouldn't go #1 and this is one of them. It's not that he can't make reads, it's that he has to prove he can to GMs and Owners.

BlackCat posted this video and said "Look, Cam makes 3 reads on this play." I simply am making the point that this is not a good example of him making reads because he doesn't make any in this video, he throws to his primary guy. I started out playing devil's advocate in the other thread and gave BlackCat things GMs/Owners would look for with concern when evaluating Cam. He got defensive and it all went downhill from there for him.

I never said he can't make more than one read. I just said he plays in a one read offense. That's not his fault. His college coach doesn't care if he develops into an NFL QB. He knows that if he runs the ball it's just as good for him as if he passes it, all he cares about is the W. He's not in the business of developing NFL players, he's in the business of winning games.

The original discussion was reasons why Cam shouldn't go #1 and this is one of them. It's not that he can't make reads, it's that he has to prove he can to GMs and Owners.

BlackCat posted this video and said "Look, Cam makes 3 reads on this play." I simply am making the point that this is not a good example of him making reads because he doesn't make any in this video, he throws to his primary guy. I started out playing devil's advocate in the other thread and gave BlackCat things GMs/Owners would look for with concern when evaluating Cam. He got defensive and it all went downhill from there for him.

Bottom line: I agree, just because Cam isn't asked to make multiple reads doesn't mean he can't... but like The Golden Calf of Bristol, I think you have to be concerned about using a high pick on a guy who hasn't been asked to do much of this because you don't know where the ceiling is on how much of it he can do.

Anyone who has seen him play more than one time, knows this. :yesnod:

Actually it's been the opposite for me. I watched three of his games this year and I thought he was a good player... obviously is at the college level. A couple weeks ago I started watching and reading more about him, especially when it was clear we'd get the #1, we'd need a QB, and we had no idea if Luck would declare... which brought me to this:

Bottom line: I agree, just because Cam isn't asked to make multiple reads doesn't mean he can't... but like The Golden Calf of Bristol, I think you have to be concerned about using a high pick on a guy who hasn't been asked to do much of this because you don't know where the ceiling is on how much of it he can do.

This is my concern at this point in time. It's not that I doubt he has some raw potential or skill at the NFL level, but I don't know how you spend a #1 pick on someone who we really can't get a good read on his mechanics and passing tools that he brings to the NFL... Perhaps tonight will be different, but I doubt it.

Archived