• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton TD

TheRealDeal

I'm not sure how you all figure there were several reads on the play when his head was down more than it was up..

edit: he hikes the ball and his eyes go straight to the DE who makes a good push to mess up the roll to the right.. he looks to the field for a second, then goes back to looking at the DE.. then snaps his head up and throws it to the TE..

what am I not seeing that you all are?

The play is designed to encourage pressure from the right (TE giving up the block) and to also draw coverage to the right (recievers moving to that side of the field). So his head is going to be turned to the right by design until he comits to the TE at the end of the play.

Again, I think this play has more to do with a coach recognizing his players inability to fake out a defense than anything else. But the other options are there if the defense doesn't bite on something.

The play is designed to encourage pressure from the right (TE giving up the block) and to also draw coverage to the right (recievers moving to that side of the field). So his head is going to be turned to the right by design until he comits to the TE at the end of the play.

Again, I think this play has more to do with a coach recognizing his players inability to fake out a defense than anything else. But the other options are there if the defense doesn't bite on something.

I hear ya. and I understand what is going on with the design of the play.. my point is if anyone thinks he went through any reads, I must be seeing something different, because regardless of play design he didn't have his eyes up to make any reads other than to his TE.. which is kind of a knock on Cam, granted he had to roll out, but if not, he needs to keep his eyes up and feel the pressure..

the play itself has the same strategy behind it as the Charlie Whitehurst play..

I'm not really sure the point of this thread, unless it was to show that Cam's offensive plays are to simplify his reads on offense..

I don't think it's a great example because this play in particular will only ever have one true read... the receiver on the left likely won't be open.. the receiver on the right is a good option if he is tall and has done well on jump balls in the endzone, but that read is made pre-snap..

Edit: the guy on the right is 1 on 1.. if he is a good route running, he is wide open all day over there.. but looking at the replay he never even goes into a route, it's a slow fade and only decoy..

Jimmy Clausen to King 16-yard Touchdown

Isn't this the Pro Style version of the same play?

pretty much.. and a fine example of what Davidson and Fox never did throughout the season to help Clausen.. (designing QB friendly plays for a ROOOOOOOOKIE QB)

logically, that would be the progression.. I don't see how he has time to make any reads with his eyes down on the DE more than on his receivers.. what I see is (what I explained on the previous page) ending with.. he finally looks up to his TE and makes the throw..

Don't agree. He looks at the receiver for a moment, sees he is covered, looks at the blocking to buy time for his next read which is the TE and then throws across the field. He has to look at the receiver to sell the action to the safety who is watching his eyes. As I said, if he was only going to the TE he should have pumped fake to the receiver as well. As for looking at the DE, of course he is because the defense is sending pressure. He needs to avoid a sack while he waits for his next receiver to clear which is his 2nd read.

I hear ya. and I understand what is going on with the design of the play.. my point is if anyone thinks he went through any reads, I must be seeing something different, because regardless of play design he didn't have his eyes up to make any reads other than to his TE.. which is kind of a knock on Cam, granted he had to roll out, but if not, he needs to keep his eyes up and feel the pressure..

the play itself has the same strategy behind it as the Charlie Whitehurst play..

I'm not really sure the point of this thread, unless it was to show that Cam's offensive plays are to simplify his reads on offense..

I don't think it's a great example because this play in particular will only ever have one true read... the receiver on the left likely won't be open.. the receiver on the right is a good option if he is tall and has done well on jump balls in the endzone, but that read is made pre-snap..

Edit: the guy on the right is 1 on 1.. if he is a good route running, he is wide open all day over there.. but looking at the replay he never even goes into a route, it's a slow fade and only decoy..

pretty much.. and a fine example of what Davidson and Fox never did throughout the season to help Clausen.. (designing QB friendly plays for a ROOOOOOOOKIE QB)

Agree with all points.

The second read comes when the pressure does. His blocker gets blown up as he sets to throw to the middle (the more I watch it, the more I think that the play is supposed to go there) and he has to adjust, which he does so in such a way to throw to his final option to the left.

There's also a wide open hole for him to run through if the TE hasn't beaten his man, also to the left after coverage has been drawn away and just in time for him to already be looking that way.

Really, the play is more an indication of a coach knowing his QB's strengths than anything else.

They were both 1st read. Gus Malzahn likes using the throwback pass in his offense.

bamalutztd.jpg

Again you confuse the point of the play with the read progression. If the receiver going left to right is open and newton looks to see if he is (first read) then he will throw the ball. On most plays though the safety will cover the deep receiver. By Newton running right the linebackers will flow right and the TE will sneak out and go against the grain. He is the receiver who is going to be open if things work like they should but he is the second read in the play. If the safety doesn't cover the deep receiver going left to right of course Newton will throw him the ball but you don't expect an obvious blown coverage. So the likely receiver is the TE but he is the second read given the progression of the play.

Also, the receiver at the bottom isn't an option at all because if you are throwing a fade AT ALL, you aren't using play action. That automatically takes him out of the play now it's down to two receivers.

The top receiver is running a drag into coverage and almost sets a pick for the TE. I just don't see how it could be any other way.

which receiver are we talking about gets the 1st read? certainly not the one on the right... must be the guy on the left?

if so, I guess we can consider that a read, but to me, pre-snap tells you he is covered.. and most likely, it is widely known the object of that receiver is to pull coverage..

my 1st read would be the guy on the right who is 1 on 1 and on a deserted island.. lol but he just runs a decoy fade route.. which must have been the design, so it was known that wasn't a real read...

I guess I'm tripping up on what we are considering a read, because the only real read (to me) is the TE and perhaps Cam should have pump faked (to the guy on the right)

Also, the receiver at the bottom isn't an option at all because if you are throwing a fade AT ALL, you aren't using play action. That automatically takes him out of the play now it's down to two receivers.

The top receiver is running a drag into coverage and almost sets a pick for the TE. I just don't see how it could be any other way.

written above might already answer my questions to this..

While he might not have been the first read in Cam's progression, the TE was definitely who the play was designed for. Still a bit confused on what the OP means, but the play was no question for the TE. Cam knew that the design of the play would allow the TE to be open on the backside.

which receiver are we talking about gets the 1st read? certainly not the one on the right... must be the guy on the left?

if so, I guess we can consider that a read, but to me, pre-snap tells you he is covered.. and most likely, it is widely known the object of that receiver is to pull coverage..

my 1st read would be the guy on the right who is 1 on 1 and on a deserted island.. lol but he just runs a decoy fade route.. which must have been the design, so it was known that wasn't a real read...

I guess I'm tripping up on what we are considering a read, because the only real read (to me) is the TE and perhaps Cam should have pump faked.. (and to the guy on the right)

This is one of the points of the thread. I wanted to see how many people really understood play design and such. This play was designed for the TE and TE only. By design, you eliminate the other two receivers as an option. His only choices are TE or Run

This is one of the points of the thread. I wanted to see how many people really understood play design and such. This play was designed for the TE and TE only. By design, you eliminate the other two receivers as an option. His only choices are TE or Run

I guess that's the point I'm making.. the decoy fade route isn't a read and I don't see how a receiver triple covered on the left is a legitimate read because his only purpose is to pull coverage, which is why the TE doesn't release from the line right away..

Side note: I've tried to spell legitimate a few times and need spell check every time.. holla!

Archived